Medical Over fasting?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So, we are at the hospital (SUMC) in Dumaguete at 5.30am this Morning for blood tests (fasting) so when we are called up at about 6am the Clinical assistant said what time was your last meal Yesterday? around 6/6.30pm OH! she said you have Over-Fasted the results may not be 100% right and you should tell the Doctor that it is Over Fasting by 2/3 Hours so to adjust? :89: so a 10/12 hours fasting seems wrong Now and it should be done exact. My Wife said well for a Start your wall clock is 30 mins fast and by the time you see us it can be over 1 hours so why this now all of a sudden?

Apparently, they have new equipment that actually takes longer to do the necessary but is timed to within 1/2 Hour of fasting Finish. Now normally from a 5.30/6am Blood take, the results are at 10 am Now it is 3pm (new machine that takes longer than the Old :89: so I will not have the Results for my 1.30 appointment with the Doctor and have had to reschedule things with the other Doctor (my wife's) 

WTF

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We had the same problem with Diana`s tests ,no it`s too old.As per usual the left hand does not know what the right is doing.One person says one thing and when you follow those instructions they are wrong.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

If you are doing lab work, isn't the a1c more important than the morning reading?   The daily readings can always change but the A1c is going to tell the  last 90 day average. Maybe I'm missing something. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

On my last medical, the tech said that they input the hours of fasting and the program adjusts the results accordingly. The doctor gets the results in 1 hour online.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I never knew the fasting time was supposed to be pretty much exact. I always thought it was like items in the grocery store, a 'best before' date. There have been many times I was told 8 hour fast and when asked when I ate last at an 8am appointment I said 8pm, never a comment.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, AlwaysRt said:

I never knew the fasting time was supposed to be pretty much exact. I always thought it was like items in the grocery store, a 'best before' date. There have been many times I was told 8 hour fast and when asked when I ate last at an 8am appointment I said 8pm, never a comment.

Nor me till Thursday, but it makes no Odds to the Doctor it seems, she was well happy with the Readings so if she happy I happy!

Teething problems I believe was the term used by the Lab when asked about this, I said to another member Yesterday, "Progress sometimes is not progress at all"

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

"Progress sometimes is not progress at all"

A step Forward is a step in the Right direction, but a step in the Right direction is a step Sideways...

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

A step Forward is a step in the Right direction, but a step in the Right direction is a step Sideways...

Sounds like strictly  come dancing :89:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Sounds like strictly  come dancing :89:

Well they do like to get us Foxtrotting around EH?