Insurance

Carl
Posted
Posted

Been reading about the floods here on the forum and news which raises a question that I have not thought about since moving into our rented house. Is there some where that I can insure our belongings and furniture?Also in the Philippines will the owner of the property insure the house or is it something that we should do our selves. Laws and things relating to renting might be different and sure don't want to be caught with my pants down.Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Been reading about the floods here on the forum and news which raises a question that I have not thought about since moving into our rented house. Is there some where that I can insure our belongings and furniture?Also in the Philippines will the owner of the property insure the house or is it something that we should do our selves. Laws and things relating to renting might be different and sure don't want to be caught with my pants down.Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
I don't think you can get renter's insurance. If something happens you'll need to replace your belongings yourself. Renting in the Philippines is far different than renting in the US. There is not an enforceable renter/landlord code of law like in the US. If you don't like something your landlord does, then move somewhere else or live with it. If something breaks, the landlord will likely not fix it for you. The general attitude I've come across is 'it worked when I rented the place to you. You want it working again, you fix it.' Theoretically, you could complain to the Barangay captain but good luck with that. You're a foreigner and have little standing or support from officials. Life in the Philippines is all about self-reliance. The normal protections you have against disaster or poor treatment in the west simply don't exist here. Your only safety net is whatever you are able to provide for yourself. That generally means a pile of cash stashed away somewhere.

johnb
Posted
Posted
I make my living here by renting apartments,my wife and I as landlords do not insure any of our apartments basically because I doubt that any RP insurance company would pay a damn thing back. as for personal items furniture etc we rent all our apartments fully furnished, all the tenant need bring is there clothes so the risk is on us.........However we do have smoke alarms and extinguishers in all our apartments.John

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My wife and I bought insurance a couple of years on our Cebu Condos and I think it will expire upon our return. I did so because that is what I would do in the US and I thought it to be the correct thing to do, but after reading the policies and seeing the many out clauses, I feel that they would never pay us if something were to happen anyway. One such clause is, "if the dwelling is left empty for more than 2 weeks then the insurance is null and void." So going on vacation is not allowed and leaving for as long as we often do, is reason for them to not pay and I am sure they wouldn't. Self insure while in the Philippines is what we all basically have to do and try to live up higher in case of floods or move your stuff to the second or third floor, if you have them, and if floods do come.