Basura (Trash) Pickups Have Stopped!

Castaway
Posted
Posted

I finally found out why the basura collectors have stopped coming to my home.

Last night, I noticed that a CCTV camera has been installed at a nearby spot that’s been used for illegal ‘basura dumping’ and that is probably where my basura has been illegally dumped for the past few years.  Hence, no more basura collectors are coming to my door.

Capture.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Maybe it was my ignorance or maybe I was just being complacent with the basura problem over here BUT ever since I lived in the Philippines, there has always been a ‘Don’t Ask – Don’t Tell’ Policy with the basura collectors—i.e., I don’t ask about where they dump the basura and they don’t have to tell me.

Plus, I have never known of a legal alternative for the collection of my basura—so, in many ways, I had no choice.  However, I’m actually glad to see the crack down on illegal basura dumping where I live since I see it as progress.

I’m just in need of finding a legal way to have my basura removed before it becomes a major health problem in my home and my subdivision.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Ideas/Suggestions?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Castaway said:

Has anyone else had the same experience? Ideas/Suggestions?

You said you were in a subdivision so it is the responsibility of the HOA and you should take it up with them.

When it happened to me, in Liloan Cebu, I was on a city street.  I called the mayor and asked why no one was picking up my trash.  The "basura" truck stopped by the next day and gave my live in partner an earful for calling the mayor on him.  He explained there was a new policy where they do not have to pick up trash that is not segregated but since the mayor had told him to pick up our trash he would do so "this time" but in the future it had to be segregated into 3 sacks (recyclable, biodegradable, and other trash).

We did that and the truck stopped by 3 times a week to pick up the recyclable bag (worth money) and only once ever two weeks for the other 2 bags.  I got into the bad habit of giving a local boy 20 pesos to take the other two sacks to anywhere he wanted just to get rid of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1