Phone Home

JerryNRea
Posted
Posted

I need to call various persons and companies in the US. Where to I go to use a pay phone to call ? I can't use my cell phone from here. When I traveled in Norway a few years ago, I could use the phones at the hostels I stayed in but not here. Many of the phones I see at the malls are inoperable. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Buy a phone card to call internationally 

• Like 2

BobP
Posted
Posted

My wife uses What's App to call her family in Colombia, SA.  You just download it to your phone.  Maybe you could try this.

roddavis
Posted
Posted

One method I use is Skype phonecall. You can dial most phones with Skype credit for about $0.02 a minute. But if you have to call 800,866... some companies will not accept if there is no callerid. You can put in a callerid in Skype. If you want to receive calls, then buy a phone number from Skype. Cost is only . $50 per year which includes voicemail if someone calls you and you are not online. You can get the number with about any area code in the States. So, calling and getting calls are no problem now. 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Buy a phone card to call internationally 

Either that or go to a travel agent.If you buy a local sim card get the one with IDD and the best deal usually costs me 100 peso with TM.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you need to call US companies and make it appear you are calling from the US or to leave a US callback number then MagicJack is your solution.  I do not have one but many of my American friends swear they are the solution to your problem.  You will have to do your own research on how to get one.  All of the people I know who have them brought them from the USA.  Perhaps get one shipped here?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

There are a lot of phone apps, for your smartphone.  I use MagicJack. I have a 214 area code (Dallas). So I can call company 800 numbers and it shows that I am in Texas. I got mine over 5 years ago and paid a flat fee for usage. I forget exactly how much, it was under $100 for 5 years. When I got mine there was a dongle you had to use on a computer, now they have an app. They added texting recently, I like that.

• Like 1