Bill To Curb

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

60 million peso and a new law just to be on time. :o :th_thholysheep: In spite of all that, I doubt it will work but it is a good start. Over the years, I have gone into store after store, mall after mall, and bank after bank and the time is different in every one of them. I remember back when I first met my wife in Cagayan de Oro, I could not believe that each bank and government office had their own time and opened and closed when their clock said it was the correct time and that drove me crazy. One time we stood in front of a banks door for 20 minutes until their clock said 9 AM even though my electronic watch said 9:20 AM. Anyone else see time disparities in the Philippines that affected their lives? Aiming to cure the Filipino

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
60 million peso and a new law just to be on time. ohmy.gifth_thholysheep.gif In spite of all that, I doubt it will work but it is a good start. Over the years, I have gone into store after store, mall after mall, and bank after bank and the time is different in every one of them. I remember back when I first met my wife in Cagayan de Oro, I could not believe that each bank and government office had their own time and opened and closed when their clock said it was the correct time and that drove me crazy. One time we stood in front of a banks door for 20 minutes until their clock said 9 AM even though my electronic watch said 9:20 AM. Anyone else see time disparities in the Philippines that affected their lives? Aiming to cure the Filipino's culture of tardiness

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Maybe next, they could spend another 60 million to buy every Filipino a working watch. Now if we could only get them to look at it...
When I was in the call center business we had chronic problems with our vendors showing up late to meetings or missing deadlines for things. We finally wrote it into our contract with them that every time they were late for a meeting it cost them $500 per portion of 5 minutes late and a missed deadline for a project or deliverable cost between $500-$5000 per day depending on the project. We saved, money but they still weren't on time. One of the benefits of living here in the Philippines has been losing some of my punctuality and focus on what time it is. The 'Filipino Time' doesn't annoy me anymore. Now, I just patiently wait for stores to open or people to arrive. Its not like I have anywhere I have to be at a given time. If I'm late, people will not care.

Travis
Posted
Posted

even now that I am retired it still upsets me when I stay home a whole day waiting for a repairman & the never show up or even call

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm with TheMason ......... unless you are here on business what difference does it make ....... if you need to go some where just go an hour late ..... it can't make that much difference in your world to arrive at a bank at 9:30 instead of 9:00 ...... I never go anywhere the minute they open ...... that way I am not disappointed :th_thholysheep: besides women in the US have been doing the late thing for centuries SugarwareZ-011.gif ......

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't have a cellphone but most people here have one. I am curious, is the time displayed on cellphones accurately synchronized to the official time?.

Edited by M.Morey

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I don't have a cellphone but most people here have one. I am curious, is the time displayed on cellphones accurately synchronized to the official time?.
Usually the cell phone date and time is supplied by the provider, and I have always gone by that when in the Philippines, but it is usually off from my digital atomic watch which had to be pretty close at least when we enter the country since it is set nightly automatically, at least while in the states.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I think Filipinos will follow it about the same as they do the "Filipino National Language" vs local dialect. Never gonna happen.I have always had problems with people being late. Coming from a 4th generation military family, I was pounded with "be on time" all my life. By the time I was 10 I understood, "On time means 15 minutes early". My dad was a watch stander (communications), as was I while in the Military. You got there 15 minutes early, so you could get all the scoop so the off going individual could get out of there "on time".....When it comes to meetings with other individuals, I take it as a personal insult when people are late...It means they are only thinking of themselves and could care less about me and my time. I will let slide once as circumstances, but the 2nd time, well don't plan on any kind of appointment with me again. And if you are in business, don't plan on me being acustomer anymore either. Can't help it, just the way I am...Now when it comes to meeting afterwork for a drink, or something of that nature then that is a different story....I don't expect people to worry about it for parties and such. That is down time and if they make it OK, if not, OK....that I understand.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think one of the main problems is transportation. I was surprised that most workmen have to taxi jeepneys to pick up parts and that can often be time consuming, but I have met a number of Filipinos who seem to understand that when dealing with a foreigner like myself, that they must be on time. I have met a few taxi drivers who are supposed to pick us up to go somewhere and will show up a half hour or more early and then wait for us. The young man who sold us our condo goes above and beyond and when he says he will be somewhere to do something, he does it. The plumber in our building not only shows up quickly when called (of course I tip him) but he also goes by jeepney to get the necessary parts and is back so quickly with the part and the receipt that I think he must fly there or have his own cash register downstairs and knows all the prices by memory. SugarwareZ-004.gif Also, Jon from this forum 3echo has always been on time or early when meeting us for one thing or another, so if someone needs a great architect, carpenter or builder, he would be the one to contact. I guess it is all up to how professional a person wants to be and sometimes how we treat them.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm .... so much for the "when in Rome ... do as the Romans do" ........ :AddEmoticons04230: