Working as a foreigner

DerekJW
Posted
Posted

Dear All,

Reading the News on MSN, I noted an American is being expelled from the Philippines for working illegally. I wondered if anybody knew what the definition of "a foreigner working illegally" is. I , and several friends, am doing on-line teaching and others write for a living, some are trading on the Internet, the rest are sitting on their butts watching the world (and the girls) pass by, sipping their jasmine teas in roadside bars, awaiting their next pension payment, they, obviously, do not have to worry!!!! But do the rest of us? Any advice is gratefully received.

Derek W in Angeles 

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Along with Derek, I've been forced to wonder whether having an affiliate account with a Philippine-based company and running their ads on a website is legal. We should probably take questions to the BI or Labor Dept. but if anyone wants to weigh in, I'll listen.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, DerekJW said:

Any advice is gratefully received.

Hi and Welcome.jpg to the Forum. The link is as good a place to start as any and it is a page on Link so you can browse many Areas, Good Luck and let's hope you can stay on the Right Road as many are now getting caught out;

https://www.dole.gov.ph/news/view/3927

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, DerekJW said:

"a foreigner working illegally"

That would require a lot of individual analysis and attention to details.  For example, a married foreigner on a 13a is allowed to work here, but where does "legal" come into it?  Are the proper taxes being paid?  Are the proper forms getting filled out?  Etc Etc.  If you are working for someone else and married to a filipina then it is the boss's problem.

But even if you are married there are some jobs foreigners are not allowed to do.  Many foreigners will say "I'm not working because I don't get paid.  I just help the wife in her business."  That tends to get them by.

But I think the opening post is referring to foreign "tourists" working illegally.  When is a foreign tourist actually working?  If you are on vacation and the boss from back in England phones you up to talk shop then are you working?  Probably, if you bill him for your time.  But would Philippines care about that?  In my opinion they would not.  I read some time ago (cannot remember the source) that Philippines government officials start to care when A:  You are taking a job away from a filipino and B:  When you are earning money from Philippine sources.

That latter part is usually monitored by the Philippine banks.  If you start getting local money deposited to your Philippine bank account you may get questioned as to the source of the funds and it could start the pot boiling to get you in hot water.  If your money is coming in from foreign bank transfers it would be highly unlikely anyone would know or care, unless you attract unwanted attention for other reasons.  If someone wants to "get you" then they would use every technicality they could to do it.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I want the watching the girls go by job.........very experienced and can bring own beverage. 

• Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I read some time ago (cannot remember the source) that Philippines government officials start to care when A:  You are taking a job away from a filipino and B:  When you are earning money from Philippine sources.

This is a good way to determine whether or not you are illegally working in the Philippines. 

14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That latter part is usually monitored by the Philippine banks.  If you start getting local money deposited to your Philippine bank account you may get questioned as to the source of the funds and it could start the pot boiling to get you in hot water.

I doubt a Philippines bank will report small amounts being deposited to your local account because of bank secrecy laws, but times they are a-changing.

My US bank just sent a notice that only authorized persons (my wife and I) are permitted to deposit cash into our account.  Everything must be by check, money order, wire transfer, bank-to-bank transfer, etc. if done by a non-account person.

• Like 1