Dsl Or Wireless? Who With? Globe? Smartbro?

country member
Posted
Posted

Y'allMoving from Perth to Manila in December 09 for 3 years, 2 months Dasmarinas, and then moving to a Makati apartment, hopefully in Salcedo.Need internet (512k to 1.5M) for 2-3 PCs, and wireless (HSDPA) looks possible, if I can get a router for multiple PCs.Globe tell me that Wimax is unavailable in Dasmarinas and Salcedo.I could get wireless for 2 months in Dasmarinas, then DSL in Salcedo.What's your experience with providers? Especially the 'big 2', Globe and SmatBro?What's your experience with DSL and HSDPA? Iheard that wireless can be very slow at times, and DSL unreliable due to old cables in some areas.Cable TV bundle is not wanted, I'm trying to avoid television.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Y'allMoving from Perth to Manila in December 09 for 3 years, 2 months Dasmarinas, and then moving to a Makati apartment, hopefully in Salcedo.Need internet (512k to 1.5M) for 2-3 PCs, and wireless (HSDPA) looks possible, if I can get a router for multiple PCs.Globe tell me that Wimax is unavailable in Dasmarinas and Salcedo.I could get wireless for 2 months in Dasmarinas, then DSL in Salcedo.What's your experience with providers? Especially the 'big 2', Globe and SmatBro?What's your experience with DSL and HSDPA? Iheard that wireless can be very slow at times, and DSL unreliable due to old cables in some areas.Cable TV bundle is not wanted, I'm trying to avoid television.
Hello again CM, I gave you my experiences with PLDT in the intro section in response to your questions there http://philippines-expats.com/index.php?showtopic=2881&view=findpost&p=13067 and I will tell you about my experiences with BigBro by Smart which is a USB HSDPA device and they charge p10 for the half hour and on the half hour by their clock. It worked great while we were traveling and in most major cities within the Philippines where my Smart cell phone received a full scale signal. I have since heard that their system may now be overloaded at times and may not work as good as it did in March, April and May of this year. I also made another post about it here. http://philippines-expats.com/index.php?showtopic=1416&view=findpost&p=11731 I hope some of that helps and I am sure others will kick in with their input as well. The one main thing that I have found lacking time and time again in the Philippines is customer service, that is until you get to a person who really cares and then they make sure your problems get fixed and fixed correctly.

post-40-12561742202438_thumb.gif

Travis
Posted
Posted

I use Smart Bro in Cebu & I was able to move & take it with me because the first place did not work out. I remember seeing a post on it in the computer section on this forum that they now offer up to 2mbps service & I am thinking of upgrading. look in the computer section & I am sure you will find it

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

We have wireless in our condo in Cebu, Lee hooked up a Lynksys 54 router to our PLDT 1mb service and I use my laptop on wifi on that and also on the BigBro USB device he mentioned and both are fast enough for what I do which is mostly reading and emails.