Mirror, mirror, on the car.....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I cannot tell from the pic how it is attached.  Was the mirror glued onto the mechanism?  If so, it could have just let go and fallen off.  I have had lots of problems with anything glued, or rubber o-rings.  This weather seems to wreak havoc on them.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I cannot tell from the pic how it is attached.  Was the mirror glued onto the mechanism?  If so, it could have just let go and fallen off.  I have had lots of problems with anything glued, or rubber o-rings.  This weather seems to wreak havoc on them.

It appears to be a "ball and socket" connection similar to the picture below.  The object in the middle of the picture, with white grease on it,  is the "ball".  I assume the glass mirror has the "socket" attached to it and just snaps on to the "ball".

Screenshot (251).png

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, OnMyWay said:

Using my Honda Brio, I took my daughter to school at 11 am, then went to Royal to check something, then went home and parked in our driveway, 30 feet from the street.

When I went out to pick my daughter up at 1:45 pm and get in the car, this is what I see:

mirror.jpg

I had a situation with my passenger side electric mirror but I didn't lose the glass. The glass started to hang and almost fall off. There is a white substance In the center of your picture you posted that can degrade over time, especially if you store your car in direct sunlight. That is the flexible sticky substance that keeps the mirror attached (along with the clips) and permits the mirror to be adjusted. Remove that white substance, clean the area then use (flexible) Elastoseal. Form a ball size enough to attach to the glass and the housing. This remedy has lasted for along time for me. The glass no longer vibrates or shakes. Elastoseal is available everywhere or you can order it on

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/pioneer-elastoseal-high-grade-waterproofing-sealant-pisilito-85g-i225888876-s298945692.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.5.78bc1c74gRZKrv&search=1

The dealer will likely charge big time for the glass and may want you to buy the entire housing unit. I'm sure there is a Auto parts store in the Subic area who can get you Honda parts. I use James Auto Supply in Angeles. He can get virtually any auto part the same as the dealer at a fraction of the price. Email your Mirror Photo with the details and i'm sure he'll reply with some options/prices. James.AutoSupply@Yahoo.com.ph Another option to find a glass replacement is Banawe Street in Manila. It's lined with New/Used/Salvaged Auto parts dealers. It's similar to going to a junk yard in the states. The cars are not there but the parts are there. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Banawe+St,+Quezon+City,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.6306025,121.0026581,427m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x3397b66b8997e549:0xaa700583524aaf2d!8m2!3d14.6305243!4d121.0028236

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I'm sure there is a Auto parts store in the Subic area who can get you Honda parts. I use James Auto Supply in Angeles. He can get virtually any auto part the same as the dealer at a fraction of the price. Email your Mirror Photo with the details and i'm sure he'll reply with some options/prices. James.AutoSupply@Yahoo.com.ph

Thanks very much for this!  I'll check around here and if needed, contact James.

There is a shop / parts place I have used for damage to my former Avanza.  He ordered the entire rear light assembly from Toyota, and I was surprised how cheap it was.  I'll stop by and ask him about getting me a mirror.

KurtVD
Posted
Posted

A lot of cars in Vietnam (I guess those that are parked outside at night) have 4 little metal clips screwed onto the housing, one on each side, they make it impossible to remove the glass without first removing the clips. Car owners over there told me that when you buy a new car, the dealers recommend this modification because they say they had to order a lot of mirrors for their customers. So at least in Vietnam, it seems that it does happen...

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2018 at 7:56 AM, Rooster said:

The dealer will likely charge big time for the glass and may want you to buy the entire housing unit. I'm sure there is a Auto parts store in the Subic area who can get you Honda parts. I use James Auto Supply in Angeles. He can get virtually any auto part the same as the dealer at a fraction of the price. Email your Mirror Photo with the details and i'm sure he'll reply with some options/prices. James.AutoSupply@Yahoo.com.ph

The local shop I mentioned said he could try to order it but he had some doubts that Honda would sell just the mirror.

I called Honda and they said the mirror glass would be p1050 but after talking to the service guys, asked me to send them some pics.

They got back to me today and said that it is missing another part that holds the mirror and controls the mirror adjustment.  So I need the whole mirror assembly except for the "cap skull" which I think is the body colored housing.  p6530 + installation.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

What the heck!  Mystery solved!  There is a gang that is stealing mirrors in our area!  I just got this e-mail on our neighborhood e-mail chain.

Just a heads up that monkeys are taking the side mirrors of vehicles. I have lost one set and all the neighbours have also. Close your mirrors when you park.

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Side note, I went ahead and got the mirror from the dealer.  Ordered it and it already came in; to be installed Saturday along with my PMS.  p5600 for the mirror and p930 for installation.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

What the heck!  Mystery solved!  There is a gang that is stealing mirrors in our area!  I just got this e-mail on our neighborhood e-mail chain.

:mellow: As I said Car Park accessories,  Glad you have a closure on this, alas at your cost :mellow:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

There is a gang that is stealing mirrors in our area!

What on earth do they do with them?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What on earth do they do with them?

1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

As I said Car Park accessories,

You know a guys want this or that and someone has friends who has this and that :thumbsup:

• Like 1