Us Weighs Immigration Fee Hike

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

So they want to raise fees and screw those who can afford it and make it even further out of reach for those who cannot. So guys, it this going to make you file your applications sooner? WASHINGTON

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

For my wife's application for her US visa I've paid fees totalling $825. I still need to pay about $225 for her medical exam and I think there are about $70 in additional fees when she actually gets her visa. The total comes to about $1100 not including travel costs to Manila for the interview appointment or courier fees to send off the paperwork. With those items included it will be closer to $1500. I think that's a pretty steep price to pay for the ability to bring my wife into the country with me. On the other hand, $1500 is a cheap price to pay to get access to the opportunities and benefits that permanent residency and eventually citizenship give you.This story reminds me of what happened in the US when oil prices went sky high. Everybody told you to save energy, save the environment. Then all the utility companies asked for a rate hike. It seems their customers started conserving energy and they didn't have enough revenue.

Edited by TheMason

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

User fees are the way government needs to keep spending on track and is fair to the average tax payer. The problem is the inherent inefficiency of government will inflate the service costs.

• 4 months later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
For my wife's application for her US visa I've paid fees totalling $825. I still need to pay about $225 for her medical exam and I think there are about $70 in additional fees when she actually gets her visa. The total comes to about $1100 not including travel costs to Manila for the interview appointment or courier fees to send off the paperwork. With those items included it will be closer to $1500. I think that's a pretty steep price to pay for the ability to bring my wife into the country with me. On the other hand, $1500 is a cheap price to pay to get access to the opportunities and benefits that permanent residency and eventually citizenship give you.This story reminds me of what happened in the US when oil prices went sky high. Everybody told you to save energy, save the environment. Then all the utility companies asked for a rate hike. It seems their customers started conserving energy and they didn't have enough revenue.
I believe there are also additional fees for a green card and for authorization to work.

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I believe there are also additional fees for a green card and for authorization to work.
It depends which type of visa you file for. We opted for the IR-1/CR-1. This is an immigrant visa for spouses and other immediate relatives and the fees include her green card. It should arrive in the mail about 10 days after entering the US. The IR-1 is issued if you have been married for more than 2 years. The CR-1 is issued if you have been married less than 2 years. The green card you are issued with a CR-1 is only valid for 2 years. Near the end of the 2 year period, you need to file for removal of conditions and pay a $545 fee. Once you remove conditions, you are issued a permanent green card that expires in 10 years. The green card you get with an IR-1 is valid for 10 years.With fiancee visas, you need to file for an adjustment of status to get her green card. I have no idea what the fees are for that, but I'm guessing they're right around $500. That seems to be the average price for major US immigration filings. Edited by TheMason