10 Or So Days To Go.

johnb
Posted
Posted

I posted a while ago on a sister site that my computer had crashed and burnt, Through the help of my wife's college friend I managed to save some of my stuff but lost a whole lot of things including many pictures, I then bought a second hand computer of course the O/S windows XP Pro was pirated, but I didn't realize that the computer was set for automatic download, my computer downloaded SP3 and as a result tells me that my computers O/S has not been authenticated, so of course I try to Authenticatece it and of course it refuses.......Every day a count down pop up window tells me so many days are left I now guess its ten, so if Igo silent on this and other sites you'll now understand......

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I posted a while ago on a sister site that my computer had crashed and burnt, Through the help of my wife's college friend I managed to save some of my stuff but lost a whole lot of things including many pictures, I then bought a second hand computer of course the O/S windows XP Pro was pirated, but I didn't realize that the computer was set for automatic download, my computer downloaded SP3 and as a result tells me that my computers O/S has not been authenticated, so of course I try to Authenticatece it and of course it refuses.......Every day a count down pop up window tells me so many days are left I now guess its ten, so if Igo silent on this and other sites you'll now understand......
Sorry to hear that John and I hope that will not be the case because you would surely be missed by myself and others. Now while I am not an expert, I do have a friend who has the same problem and MS never shut their system and it has been months, they only made the window hard to read and with a warning on the side, and when he uses IE then he has no problems. My guess is that you will be able to use the computer without a problem for a long time. I do not know if it would help or not, but you might shut the auto updates off and uninstall the third service pack and delete all cookies and also try to find anything else that MS installed at the time that it started that warning and delete that as well, but I am sure you know that it might put you more at risk for Trojans and viruses. I am also sending you a email to try some other things.

johnb
Posted
Posted
Sorry to hear that John and I hope that will not be the case because you would surely be missed by myself and others. Now while I am not an expert, I do have a friend who has the same problem and MS never shut their system and it has been months, they only made the window hard to read and with a warning on the side, and when he uses IE then he has no problems. My guess is that you will be able to use the computer without a problem for a long time. I do not know if it would help or not, but you might shut the auto updates off and uninstall the third service pack and delete all cookies and also try to find anything else that MS installed at the time that it started that warning and delete that as well, but I am sure you know that it might put you more at risk for Trojans and viruses. I am also sending you a email to try some other things.
Thanks Lee, actually I found a patch that claims to cure the problem i downloaded it and installed it last night, the pop up window showing a countdown have now gone as has the little reminder icons on the task bar, on further reading about the patch it seems that its hit or miss sometimes the patch works fine other times it just removes the pop up and icons but you still lose the use of windows after the 30 day period, I did initially try uninstalling SP3 but it had know effect the same pop ups, popped up, so now I just have the waiting game....on the positive side because this computer is a replacement for my last one that crashed , theres very little stuff on it, so in the next few days I'll save every thing That's important just in case get my screen goes black.John

johnb
Posted
Posted

I have been googling around the net and stumbled across the free O/S linux Ubuntu, I tried some of there office application which can read and save in a windows format, it also gives access to firefox, I'm just wondering should I just dump windows XP, to be honest I only use windows O/S because it was on my first computer, these days I only need M/S Word, Excel and outlook express and it seems that there is an equivalent on linux, I do have some favorite software photo programes and some technical drawing programs if I can find a way to make them work on linux, then I'll just uninstall windows. so before I do anything That I might regret, does anyone have any good or bad opinions on Linux?thanks John

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I have been googling around the net and stumbled across the free O/S linux Ubuntu, I tried some of there office application which can read and save in a windows format, it also gives access to firefox, I'm just wondering should I just dump windows XP, to be honest I only use windows O/S because it was on my first computer, these days I only need M/S Word, Excel and outlook express and it seems that there is an equivalent on linux, I do have some favorite software photo programes and some technical drawing programs if I can find a way to make them work on linux, then I'll just uninstall windows. so before I do anything That I might regret, does anyone have any good or bad opinions on Linux?thanks John
Linux works well but it requires a higher level of technical competence to run it. Its getting easier to do it yourself but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know a bit about computers. There's really no harm in trying though. If you can't make Linux work for you, just reinstall Windows.

country member
Posted
Posted

Someone I know very well (?) uses unlicenced XPpro on his laptop.It's really easy, just install XPro, (service pack 2), then shut off updates.You can install IE 7 if you like tabbed browsing, but versions 8+ may check for licences. Or go for Opera, Mozilla, Firefox if you prefer.I use IE7 for tube stuff, and Opera for everything else.Then install AVG free virus scanner (version 9 came out last week).That's it. Rock solid, protected, and no more MS surprise updates.If you use moderate care in your web surfing, no probs.No offense guys, but Linux is for enthusiasts only.However, the new Google Chrome OS (not Android) might be worth a look. It will be free, and has MS worried.