Church experiences expectations as an Expat?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

For myself,  I'm not a big churchgoer,  but I feel myself to be a rather spiritual person. Back in the US, we used to attend the local Catholic church in our neighborhood when our son went to the parish school there. I was raised a Baptist as a child.

I've in the past attended church here in town, and it was satisfying, but for the past few years the priest is not popular even with the locals and it isn't  inspiring or worth going for me. (two years left of a six year assignment)

For me in the past, I enjoyed the fellowship and social/community aspect of attending the local town church. Lately I've even tried to research and attend different nearby local Catholic parish churches of different faiths in our area on FB, but haven't come up with any that appeal. I can only visualize myself showing up and being expected to be the new benefactor of a church roof, pew benches etc.:)

In a more populated area in the city I'm sure I'd have more choices, as well as possibly seeing more foreigner faces in the crowd. Such is life in more far flung areas I guess. I guess I'll have to keep looking or wait it out.:) Is that anyone's experience too?

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I guess I'll have to keep looking or wait it out.:) Is that anyone's experience too?

That sums it up.  There are some church-going expats here but they often end up going to whatever church their wife likes so not much activity geared towards foreigners.

As you say, being a spiritual person is key.  The church aspect is an individual choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's rare we go to Church here in the States. I'm a bad influence on my wife.

When in Cebu I go to Church almost every Sunday. In most cases an informal Catholic service held at a subdivision chapel. THe service is in English no need to dress up so we enjoy the services. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I can only visualize myself showing up and being expected to be the new benefactor of a church roof, pew benches etc.:)

We have also had that experience, it becomes even more of a problem if the church seems to not make the best use of what funds that are already available/spent.  My wife is very good about letting each church know that our funds are limited and that our personal tithing and ministry funds are spread over multiple churches, organizations, and individuals.   Even then we have run into the "you did this for them, why not for us?"  I almost always let my wife handle the financial requests as she is more diplomatically skilled than I when the answer is "no".

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2