Help with US Immigration Visa for Asawa

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

I first attempted to get a US Immigration Visa for my Filipina spouse back in 2015 at the US Embassy (Manila).  Back then, I brought my paperwork over to the Homeland Security Window and was told to come back at a later date (once I had acquired a Philippine Drivers license, proof of receiving mail in the Phils, and a dozen other things). 

OK, I now have all of the requirements but I can’t reach the embassy to get any information.  The online information is not really helpful and the Embassy phone lines are always busy.

Can anyone with recent hands-on experience tell me if the process is still the same for getting a US Visa for my spouse? 

Is it still the case that the first step for a US Expat is to show up with the required documents (including i-130/g-325a’s) and payment at the Homeland Security window at the US Embassy?  

Thanks in advance for your help.

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/20/2018 at 4:28 AM, Foreigner said:

Is it still the case that the first step for a US Expat is to show up with the required documents (including i-130/g-325a’s) and payment at the Homeland Security window at the US Embassy?  

We did ours in 2014. To file for the visa at the US Embassy in Manila (Direct Consular Filing) DCF rather than in the US with USCIS you need to provide proof that you, the petitioner, has resided in the Philippines for more than 6 months. Things I used was a DL, lease agreement, internet, phone and CATV bills, etc. to show proof of residence greater than 6 months.

We had to make an appointment online, I don't think they will accept walk-ins.

All in all, from the time I filed the I-130 it only took 3 months to receive the CR-1 visa (IR-1 if you have been married more than 2 years). We could have completed it in 2 months if we had really pushed it.

Good luck.

Edited by earthdome
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, earthdome said:

Things I used was a DL, lease agreement, internet, phone and CATV bills, etc. to show proof of residence greater than 6 months.

Just curious - did they give you a reason why the the entry date on your passport was not sufficient proof of 6 months residence?

Foreigner
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, earthdome said:

All in all, from the time I filed the I-130 it only took 3 months to receive the CR-1 visa

Earthdome, did you get an interview on the very same day that you filed the I-130?... or did you have to wait for an appointment for the interview at a later date?

As far as the interview, was it just for your spouse?... or were you both interviewed?

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Earthdome, did you get an interview on the very same day that you filed the I-130?... or did you have to wait for an appointment for the interview at a later date?

As far as the interview, was it just for your spouse?... or were you both interviewed?

No, the interview came much later after the I-130 was approved. Altogether we had to make 3 or 4 trips to Manila over those 3 months to get it all done.

All your interactions at the US Embassy will be by appointment.

Just search online for DCF spouse visa application Manila US Embassy and you should find plenty of information. I think there already exist some threads on this forum of members experience getting a visa.

The final interview is just for the spouse.

Edited by earthdome
  • Thanks 1