New Typhoon Named After One of Forum Member

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, roddavis said:

Just watching PAGASA for typhoon reports. Looks like another possible super typhoon to follow the on last week.

As per PAGASA "

• Typhoon "KONG-REY" is expected to enter the PAR this afternoon and it will be named "QUEENIE"." You should be happy, PI named one for you Queenie!  :rain_80_anim_gif:

Was there one called "Queenie" a few years ago?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Was there one called "Queenie" a few years ago?

I was reading about how they have the same names for typhoons and they get recycled every half a dozen years or so, unless it is a catastrophic storm, like Yolanda, where they "retire" the name.  So chances are Queenie was storming a few years ago.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, roddavis said:

Just watching PAGASA for typhoon reports. Looks like another possible super typhoon to follow the on last week.

As per PAGASA "

• Typhoon "KONG-REY" is expected to enter the PAR this afternoon and it will be named "QUEENIE"." You should be happy, PI named one for you Queenie!  :rain_80_anim_gif:

Thanks for the warning Rod!:wow: Luckily it seems that on it's current track it might not even make landfall here after all. So far so good, but not the best claim to fame for me!  Rey in latin means king so is it presently called King Kong?

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was reading about how they have the same names for typhoons and they get recycled every half a dozen years or so, unless it is a catastrophic storm, like Yolanda, where they "retire" the name.  So chances are Queenie was storming a few years ago.

Storm in a teacup. :cheersty:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

How do they come up with names for storms, typhoons, hurricanes and cyclones? Is there some highly compensated international committee that argue about the selection process. I remember that at one time they used female names only, but I am pretty sure some feminist group complained.

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I remember that at one time they used female names only

Goes back I guess to many things, I for one always called a car my a Female name, I believe somewhere I read that Ships are so called as in the saying " God bless all that sail in her but then look at what it is? Did Shakespeare once pen  "Hell hath No fury like a Woman Scorned " and we all blame the Weather at times, I Remember my Grandad saying about a noisy wind Listen to that wind, sounds like some husband has upset his Wife :ohmy:

*** [ taken from the Net***

Why were typhoons usually named after woman before?

In 1953, to avoid the repetitive use of names, the system was revised so that storms would be given female names. By doing this, the National Weather Service was mimicking the habit of naval meteorologists, who named the storms after women, much as ships at sea were traditionally named for women.Jun 1, 2018 *******

Just my 5c ( not Blaming you Queenie But................. :whistling:)

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Can't be named after our Queenie, because she is a sweetheart. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Love it 2