Puerto Princesa Palawan

Jan Johansson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello, does anyone know what happened after the Puerto Princesa mercury contamination - "widespread mercury poisoning" last year? Any updates of restoration? Would it be possible to eat fish in PP? Going to visit Puerto Princesa in six months, trying to find out if this is the place where to permanently settle down. But the mercury poisoning is a problem at the moment to us. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Assuming that you live permanently in the PP area, I would be very greatful for your comments. What do you think about the fish being polluted? Do you yourself shop at the fish market in PP? And what about the contaminated area around the mercury pool? Would you go there, would you breethe the air? Would you take a swim in Honda bay? Am I exaggerating? On what level is this mercury poisoning affecting daily life for ordinary people (not tourists) in PP?

Thanks/Axelnoah

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Paste as plain text please

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Greetings Jan

Welcome to the forum, well you certainly made a bold 1st entrance, I must say.

Judging by the fact you have had no reply's so far, leads me to think one of two thing's.

Either nobody is aware of any mercury poisoning or it is not as wide spread or serious as you fear it to be!

However I did watch a documentary about plastic pollution affecting wild life around the world and in the sea.

Maybe you yourself could provide us with information that led to your questions.

Having visited Palawan last time I was over in Philippines, it was a great experience.

I watched a BBC programme called "Treasures of Philippines" which included Palawan last week, there was no mention of any

mercury affects on wild life.........regards JB

Edited by Kuya John
missed word
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

softail
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Maybe you yourself could provide us with information that led to your questions.

DENR to restore mercury-tainted Palawan lake

PUERTO PRINCESA – The government has started the restoration of a mercury-contaminated lake in Palawan that was previously used by a mining company.

The rehabilitation of the lake in Barangay Sta. Lourdes, Puerto Princesa, Palawan is led and funded by the environment department's Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB). It will have three phases.

Phase 1 will cover the pit lake’s outer perimeter fencing, while Phase 2 will include the inner perimeter fencing.

The third phase will entail the construction of pit benches, including engineering and landscaping, slope protection and vegetation, and construction of a three-meter “hike-jog-bike” pathway with park lighting. 

The lake was formerly mined by Palawan Quicksilver Mine, Inc. (PQMI).

The MGB said residents who live around the lake are at risk of exposure to toxic mercury used by miners to extract ore. They will be relocated to a safer area.

In a visit to Palawan, Environment Secretary Gina Lopez and city Mayor Lucilo Bayron assured homeowners that they will be given a proper relocation site and livelihood before they are asked to leave their homes.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Puerto Princesa local government are set to conduct medical check-ups to ensure residents’ health.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/01/06/17/denr-to-restore-mercury-tainted-palawan-lake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

So they are going to put a fence around it. Should be ok then.

• Haha 1

Howard
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

So they are going to put a fence around it. Should be ok then.

Yes, all safe now.