Hiring a motorbike,do you have insurance?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A friend of mine is visiting here in a few weeks.He has been quite a few times before and rented a motorbike.It has come to light that most rental shops don`t have insurance for the bike.

I suppose he could get his travel insurance to cover bikes but that would be classified as dangerous activity and be expensive. So do you think he could get insurance here like we do for our vehicles?

I was wondering if anybody has done this and the rough cost.Could anybody just go to a broker and get the couple of hundred peso insurance you can get when you own a bike.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

.Could anybody just go to a broker and get the couple of hundred peso insurance you can get when you own a bike.

I have done that with a motorcycle I did not own but intended to buy.  I paid 800 pesos and said I was buying the bike and they sold me a policy.  I don't know if it would ever pay out.  Do any of these cheap insurances ever pay?

Everyone who buys a car or motorbike and just renews the yearly payment and insurance in the old owner's name is also in the position you describe.  Half the population do not have insurance IF it must be in their name.

It is my understanding, based on asking the guys across from Kangs that you know too, that the mandatory insurance will cover the vehicle, no matter who is driving it, UNLESS it is rented to the current user.  That is why the downtown rental bike people always tell you (when they remember to mention it):  "If you are stopped be sure to tell that you borrowed the bike and not rented the bike."If you want a direct quote from what my insurance broker said:

ME:  I want to rent out his motorbikes and scooters.  All are 150cc or below.  Is there any company offering coverage, and if so, how much?

MAY:  We regret that it is exclusion on motor insurance. However, we will coordinate with all Insurance company to what coverage they can provide. 

MAY:  (follow up) As requested to all our Insurer, we regret to inform you that inquired accommodation for motorcycle coverage that is used for rent was declined due to their underwriting restriction. 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

"If you are stopped be sure to tell that you borrowed the bike and not rented the bike."

Ok well that`s one option anybody know any other options?