English and the Conversation

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

On another page ( Forum) someone asked about Communication most of us know that at times it can get sketchy when they try to explain something in English, anyway, one poster ( A lady) said OH! No we are perfect in this just our Accents are Different, I am not too sure that she understood what was being said meaning Filipinos ( male and female) seem to have a problem at times to actually communicate in a way that makes total sense Yes I know we get used to it BUT this lady was adamant and said I talk no different here in English that I do at Home (Philippines) so of course my Humour krept in and I said,  So quickly,  your husband understands you fully, of course. she said :89: Hmmmmm OK! so does he say this to you  Accent and oberder.jpg

Yes I know it could have been in Jokes But......................................:smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Normally I can figure out what the Mrs is saying (even with all the 'he's' and 'she's' swapped about  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):).

Yesterday she gave me a real fuzzler though.

After much ano-ing and ayi-ng and wotting , :89: she finally had to write it down.

VAPING !   

You can imagine how she was fronouncing that one .  I thought she was on about 'bathing' or summat. 

I mean, what was somebody doing bathing in Jollibee ???  :laugh:

• Haha 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

fat man in bath.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I didn't think I had much of an accent before moving here, from Bournemouth. They seem to struggle with it here though, had to tell the woman in Jolibee that I wanted 'royal' 10 times this morning, then she got the manager over and I had to tell her another 3 times lol.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yes I agree, our accents can chuck them, but one universal phase is world wide and either you get what you asked for or a dirty look.

Mind out of the gutter boys. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 11/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Hmmmmm OK! so does he say this to you

Still waiting Jack: the answer is a cold beer, meaning you get one or a dirty look, meaning their beer is always cold. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

My wife was always afraid to talk to people when we were in the US, in spite of my assurances that her English was really good. In fact, her ability to type/chat in English and even understand and make jokes was one of the things that attracted this deafie to her. My ear doc had my wife come in at my last fitting and tuned my aid to my wife's voice. Because of that, and because I'm used to watching her lips form words, I hear her best.

Since we've been here, though, she's digressed a bit. I assume it's from all of the Bisayan/Tagalog she speaks to her family and others every day.

But, really, our communication trouble now is her attention. She seems to either be playing her game on the tablet or holding a secondary conversation with her family either live on via text. Sometimes I just mumble some sounds and ask, "Right?" Well, men are never right so that snaps the head up or around!  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

My  wife here speaks very good english but the problem is. She speaks in short hand. Almost never say the complete sentence but expects me to know what she means.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

My favorite is she will say..... Over there, without pointing, or pointing her lips. I'm just expected to know where to look 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

My favorite is she will say..... Over there, without pointing, or pointing her lips. I'm just expected to know where to look 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1