All Saints

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anyone spend the night in the cemetery ????

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Apparently a lot of people do.While the US has Halloween and the Philippines has All Saints Day, to me Halloween is just a commercial business way to sell candy and costumes. Anyone have any feelings or idea on what All Saints day is really all about? Sorry I must be stupid but I just do not get it?Isn't it a shame that a country is so poor that people have to live in cemeteries? Families find life through living with the deadLink to the whole story

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

All Saints day is a day that a lot of us Filipinos go to the cemetery to visit those of our loved ones who have passed on. Many poor people who cannot afford to pay for transportation may walk for a whole day to get to the cemetery and sometimes we bring food offering to leave for our departed loved ones. Cooking and preparation usually starts a couple of days in advance and people can go from home to home and eat the foods that others have prepared, for some that can be the only good meal with meats that they get for months. It is not a commercial thing like in the states and it is just about paying our respects to the dead. That was how it was in the provinces where I grew up but it was not like that when I lived and worked in CDO.

Guardian
Posted
Posted
That would scare the :cheersty: out of me and I would need a lot of :shooter: :cheersty: and these :thumbsup: first.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

It's not the dead you have to worry about ... it's the living that scare the :714_full_of_crap:out of me ........ I personally think it is a nice custom to honor those who have pasted on ..... in the US we celebrate Memorial day to show respect and to remember those in the military who died for their country ...... wouldn't it be nice if they could have a day to celebrate ALL those who have traveled on ......

daisy
Posted
Posted

Yes, it is our way of remembering loved ones who passed away. My first and last experienced of "sleeping" in the cemetery was in 1979. It was July of the same year that our youngest sibling died at the age of 4. We were all so emotional then, even my parents. Looking back, it was one of my unforgettable moment as a child. Nowadays, it is still done by some families but it is just like another kind of "family reunion".