Oslob

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
Just thought would give an update. We are living in Oslob now. It is pretty quiet area. We have made it to Cebu a couple times since our arrival October 3rd. My butt about gives out on the two and ahalf hour bus ride to the city though. Anyway, this sure beats the snow they are getting back home. I would have logged on sooner but have the hardest time remembering my pass word!
Hi Michael welcome back. Please tell us more about Oslob when you have time, do they have good malls or places to shop there? Are you happy there? Did you buy a house? Is there any industry there and how do people support themselves? Thanks and hope to see you on more often.

Michael
Posted
Posted

I had to laugh when I read are there any good malls in Oslob. There are none! We will probably either to to Cebu City once a month or Dumaguete once a month. Maybe we will go to both once a month. There is a decent bar about a half a mile from our house. We did buy a little house on the beach. There is around 165 feet of beach front. Half of the beach has a sea wall and the other half is sand. We saw it a couple years ago when we were here. I got tired of shoveling snow last winter so we called the owner up and made them an offer. They lived in England. The house sets on a lot just over 1,000 square meters. We plan on doing some improvements to the lot. The area seems to be mainly a fishing community. The town is know for a very old church which is pretty neat. I have waved at a few white people here. We met a man from Europe on the bus. He owns V resort just North of Oslob. My wife has family about a half hour bus ride North and South of Oslob. We see them about once a week. We got GSat installed. That gives me a couple English speaking TV channels to watch. I also brought over some books. I brought my Ipod with over 7,000 songs on it. So I have not got bored in the last month. We will try to see some of you in March and will have a better idea then. In the mean time if anyone happens to be in the area let me know at mdb911sc@q.com. I have been writing and depositing a US check once a month at a Cebu City bank. We have an account there. It takes 15 work days for the check to clear. That seems to work for us ok so far and does not cost anything.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted (edited)
I had to laugh when I read are there any good malls in Oslob. There are none! We will probably either to to Cebu City once a month or Dumaguete once a month. Maybe we will go to both once a month. There is a decent bar about a half a mile from our house. We did buy a little house on the beach. There is around 165 feet of beach front. Half of the beach has a sea wall and the other half is sand. We saw it a couple years ago when we were here. I got tired of shoveling snow last winter so we called the owner up and made them an offer. They lived in England. The house sets on a lot just over 1,000 square meters. We plan on doing some improvements to the lot. The area seems to be mainly a fishing community. The town is know for a very old church which is pretty neat. I have waved at a few white people here. We met a man from Europe on the bus. He owns V resort just North of Oslob. My wife has family about a half hour bus ride North and South of Oslob. We see them about once a week. We got GSat installed. That gives me a couple English speaking TV channels to watch. I also brought over some books. I brought my Ipod with over 7,000 songs on it. So I have not got bored in the last month. We will try to see some of you in March and will have a better idea then. In the mean time if anyone happens to be in the area let me know at mdb911sc@q.com. I have been writing and depositing a US check once a month at a Cebu City bank. We have an account there. It takes 15 work days for the check to clear. That seems to work for us ok so far and does not cost anything.
Thank you for the reply and information on Oslob. I have never been to Oslob so I was interested to know about it. Hope to meet you and your wife in March at the get together. Edited by Sampaguita

Guardian
Posted
Posted

I am not sure if I would want to live in a town called O slob because I am already a slob and doesn't O mean yes? SugarwareZ-007.gif So I am thinking that means yes slob. 2245_safe.gif No insult meant to Michael, just talking about myself. SugarwareZ-047.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

A house on the beach sounds wonderful. I kind of regret not buying beachfront. We live near Consolacion, about 15 minutes to the beach in Liloan. .

• 1 month later...
Michael
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have started trolling from banca boats here in Oslob. So far we have only caught barracuda, but we are having fun. A friend that was with us yesterday may have had a trevally on. It was pulling like mad staying deep and the hook finnally pulled free. I may have to buy a boat one of these days. I told our kids back home we gave the barracuda to papa. Our son wanted to know what papa did with the barracuda. I told him you have to remember this is the Philippines. He ate it. He then wanted to know if I had eaten any. I told him I had a bit and it tasted like fish. I was expecting it to taste like chicken. SugarwareZ-011.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My wife and I have started trolling from banca boats here in Oslob. So far we have only caught barracuda, but we are having fun. A friend that was with us yesterday may have had a trevally on. It was pulling like mad staying deep and the hook finnally pulled free. I may have to buy a boat one of these days. I told our kids back home we gave the barracuda to papa. Our son wanted to know what papa did with the barracuda. I told him you have to remember this is the Philippines. He ate it. He then wanted to know if I had eaten any. I told him I had a bit and it tasted like fish. I was expecting it to taste like chicken. SugarwareZ-011.gif
I remember when I was a kid, my father would bring home barracuda from the pub every Friday as some one did the rounds with fish to the pubs then,anyway although I have not had barracuda for many years, I do remember it as a very nice eating fish.Are we talking about the same fish here,it was a rather long fish in lenth?th_interesting.gif

Michael
Posted
Posted

Yes, they are long and thin for their length. They have more teeth than I do. I have not eaten any. I think they are boney. They are fun to catch. The longest so far have been 29 and 28 inches.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I can tell you that they come way larger. I used to dive off Florida and there is a sunken ship down at 97 feet to the bottom and the same very large cuda maybe 4.5 feet or maybe more, it is hard to tell when wearing a mask but his head was twice the size of my hand and he seemed to be almost as long as I was, anyway it used to hang out in the ships wheel room and some people must have fed him because he kept hanging around and almost came up to me face to face and those rather large teeth look ever scarier when they are that close. He also followed me to the surface just below my feet the fisrt time and I was very happy to get my feet out of the water because I was sure he was going to take a nip. I think he must have been thinking "must taste like chicken" as he followed my feet within inches. :th_thsmilies-29057: I saw the same fish quite a few more times when I dived on the same ship but someone must have eventually killed him because he was not there the last few dives on that ship we made.

post-40-12608468720909_thumb.jpg

post-40-12608468817163_thumb.jpg