Should A Ransom Ever Be Paid For Anyone?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I realize that it is often a loved one and hearts get in the way of heads, but even if it were to mean weeks, months or years of torture, no one should ever pay a ransom for anyone and I have instructed my wife and lawyer to never pay a ransom for me and to never even entertain phone calls from people who might kidnap me. We all take our chances in life by traveling or working in some places that might get us kidnapped, but those are most often choices we made in our own lives and paying ransom only emboldens kidnappers to do it over and over again and for even more people to get into the business of kidnapping, so I wonder what others think on this subject and would they be willing to give up their lives or suffer to prevent kidnappings of others in the future?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I realize that it is often a loved one and hearts get in the way of heads, but even if it were to mean weeks, months or years of torture, no one should ever pay a ransom for anyone and I have instructed my wife and lawyer to never pay a ransom for me and to never even entertain phone calls from people who might kidnap me. We all take our chances in life by traveling or working in some places that might get us kidnapped, but those are most often choices we made in our own lives and paying ransom only emboldens kidnappers to do it over and over again and for even more people to get into the business of kidnapping, so I wonder what others think on this subject and would they be willing to give up their lives or suffer to prevent kidnappings of others in the future?
This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer until you are faced with the reality. Its easy to tell your relatives not to pay but when faced with the situation its not so easy to ignore the requests. If anyone is concerned with kidnapping you can get insurance in varying amounts. When I travelled here on business I was covered by my company's kidnapping insurance. Now that I don't have insurance I would want my family to pay for my release. I think its a thin argument that refusing to pay ransom will decrease kidnappings in the future. Even if there was a proven connection between my refusal to pay and decreased future kidnappings, I don't really care about future kidnap victims. My life is worth more to me than maybe possibly preventing someone else from being kidnapped. We all take the kidnapping risk but in my opinion, its a pretty small risk. I'm not giving up my life to make the risk smaller for someone else.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Not without my permission..

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
If you were to be kidnapped Lee, despite what your wishes are I assure you that Mike myself and Dave will do our best to pay the bastards to keep you.SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-005.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This is exactly what I mean, give them an inch and then they kidnap everyone. Freaken animals. and I have to wonder where his relatives were supposed to get that kind of money, he was not even a foreigner or a big business owner. The only right way is to eradicate them like the mindless insects they are.Abducted school principal beheaded in SuluSuspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group beheaded a school principal snatched last month in Patikul, Sulu, apparently after his relatives failed to pay a P2-million ransom earlier demanded in exchange for his liberty.Link to the whole sickening story

• 4 weeks later...
Genius
Posted
Posted
This is exactly what I mean, give them an inch and then they kidnap everyone. Freaken animals. and I have to wonder where his relatives were supposed to get that kind of money, he was not even a foreigner or a big business owner. The only right way is to eradicate them like the mindless insects they are.Abducted school principal beheaded in SuluSuspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group beheaded a school principal snatched last month in Patikul, Sulu, apparently after his relatives failed to pay a P2-million ransom earlier demanded in exchange for his liberty.Link to the whole sickening story
Kidnapping is somewhat rife in the phils. What is the solution in a country where 1% of the population try and keep 80% in abject poverty and the other 19% are too grateful to the 1% that they are not part of the 80% to do anything ? Kidnappings in the UK are pretty rare and mostly unheard of unfortunately the phils is closer to being afghanistan than it is the UK, as nice as the phils is.