What is a "millennial" to you and yours?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Partying at Christmas... with the millennials:  :nudie:

IMG_20181215_214614fb.jpg

are you dancing the "Twist"

anyway, good sport.

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I know the definition but people have different views about it.

So, how do you feel about it?

How do your children or spouse feel about it? 

My general overall feeling is that "millennials" are children growing up in the "social media" generation. 

I don't do Facebook, or Tweet or any other online media except for this one and only when I am here in the Philippines.

Wife does Facebook. Stepson does Facebook. 

Each generation is exposed to more modern technology. Virtual reality is a new good one that wasn't around during my youth.

Oh, ok, I still have a dumb phone that I use. I also have an Apple iPod that I store music on. I love my music anywhere anytime.

The millenials are all grown up. The youngest are 23, oldest are 38. They aren't children any more, and most of them grew up without social media.

And maybe I am sounding like an old man (although I am Gen X), but they seem to be extraordinarily lazy and stupid around here.

They may end up being the generation that makes the Boomers look good by comparison.

When Gen Z comes of age, they are going to burn it all down, especially the younger cohorts.

To me, a millennial is somebody born from the year 2000 onwards.

No millenial was born after 2000. 

Edited by Reboot

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Reboot said:

No millenial was born after 2000. 

My stepson was born September 17, 2000. He is a "millennial and a generation "Y".

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

My stepson was born September 17, 2000. He is a "millennial and a generation "Y".

Gen Z. Millenials/Gen Y are generally regarded as the generation that generally  "came of age" near the beginning of the new millenium.

ST_18.02.27_millenials_topic_page-1.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/

Most Millenials grew up with PCs and the internet, but not social media, which really didn't start to become a huge thing until about a decade ago.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anyway, big social media has become a cancer.

https://www.dailycaller.com/2018/12/31/facebook-police-community-standards-hate/

Edited by Reboot

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Gen Z. Millenials/Gen Y are generally regarded as the generation that generally  "came of age" near the beginning of the new millenium.

ST_18.02.27_millenials_topic_page-1.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/topics/millennials/

Most Millenials grew up with PCs and the internet, but not social media, which really didn't start to become a huge thing until about a decade ago.

You are probably right. My stepson thinks he is a "millennial". That is why I threw in the "social media" comment. I do not allow him to take his smart phone to school. I do not allow him to use Facebook either. He accepts this. 

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Gratefuled said:

You are probably right. My stepson thinks he is a "millennial". That is why I threw in the "social media" comment. I do not allow him to take his smart phone to school. I do not allow him to use Facebook either. He accepts this. 

Smart. I bought my 11 year old a smartphone a few months ago, but I maintain strict control, including no Faceborg.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Anyway, big social media has become a cancer.

I am Anti- President but not anti-American. 

• Like 1

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Well, my 26 year old daughter is a millennial, living in the USA , and she is always on Facebook and Twitter, so much so that she is always too busy to answer my phone calls from the Philippines.  Instead of her being too busy as an excuse, I'm starting to believe that she (as well as many other millennials) have lost their ability to have actual conversations with their biological voices! :sad:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Millenials are born 1980-2000 (some charts say 1996).  After the millennials we have already had Gen Z and Gen Alpha.  

As for phone calls - anyone that knows me also knows there are at least 6 ways to contact me without calling ha ha.  Who uses the phone anymore?  I am a Gen X-er but embrace my millennial side 

• Like 1