Alexa

RBM
Posted
Posted

Been considering one of these for music. We all know the locals when talking can be quite loud, while not a problem the non stop chattering of neighbours maids can be annoying. Normally we play videos on TV quietly as its enough to drown out their noise.

Anyway currently here in NZ where Alexa is just $85. I am a computer dummy so my reason for posting is to ask if anybody is using this device and how is it.

As NZ  is 240V there should be no issue, have checked Lazada but no stock as perhaps the NZ Alexa is not compatible in Philippines.

Final point is how difficult it would be to set up.

Advance thanks for any in put.

insite
Posted
Posted

The Amazon Echo is not fully supported in the Phills so many of the features available there will not work here.

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, insite said:

The Amazon Echo is not fully supported in the Phills so many of the features available there will not work here.

Thank you, would you perhaps know if the music is supported and if a fee applies for same apart from normal wi fi fees. 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

What you will likely run into is geo-locked content.  I brought a Roku with me and it is almost useless.  So far I can only connect it to my Netflix, none of the Roku stations are licensed here.  Same with my US Hulu account, it will connect but nothing will play here in the PIs.  Netflix works, but the library is severely limited. (All of those can be used by a VPN, though.)

Alexa is just going to connect to your music service.  Depending on what service you use, will affect how useful it is (Google, Pandora, Spotify etc). 

Not sure if you can set Alexa up through a VPN. If so, you can set whatever country you want.