Another Million to One Shot

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

A few years ago one of the regular forum members helped me find the location of a photograph that my father took during WW2 while he was assigned to a PT Boat that operated out of Ormoc. The pic showed my dad sitting in front of what turned out to be a mausoleum in the Malitbog cemetery. It was recognized by the forum member because it was the mausoleum of his wife’s, if I recall correctly, great grandmother. Now what are the odds of that?

Well, I’m hoping lightening can strike twice. I have another pic of my dad somewhere, probably on Leyte. I’ve been thinking it was the steps to a bombed out school. But, now I’ve found a second photograph that makes me think it too might be a mausoleum. Maybe? Or, just a statue to someone? 

If these pics tickle any little brain cells I would be extremely grateful.

Hopefully the pics will upload. 

Thanks so much. 

4222EB69-DB0A-4B1D-99B3-0E33A9321639.png

4D449C53-C59D-45B3-ABC8-A219C8D89305.png

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I’ll show this picture to my Mother In Law. It is not the same one but she may know it’s location and history.

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Update...

I’m now 90%+ sure it isn’t a mausoleum. 

A friend pointed out that it is very likely a Jose Rizal statue. It seems way back in 1904 they passed a law encouraging every town to create one. The majority of them depict Rizal holding a book. Which is the case with these photos. 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, northtoalaska said:

Update...

I’m now 90%+ sure it isn’t a mausoleum. 

A friend pointed out that it is very likely a Jose Rizal statue. It seems way back in 1904 they passed a law encouraging every town to create one. The majority of them depict Rizal holding a book. Which is the case with these photos. 

Good luck with that. I love learning about this stuff. I live very close to Aguinaldo Park and we've been inside his house maybe 5 times on the tour that they give. There is a huge Filipino flag at the park by his house that is on display 24 hours a day.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Win valuable prizes!

(Well, one valuable prize.)

So, I struck out this go round on finding the above location. But, hope springs...

Thus, I’m offering a $200 USD reward if anyone can locate the place. Not a big deal for you guys, but maybe you’ve a teenage relative who could use some school/college money. 

Its most likely to have been located on Leyte or Samar. I’d say Cebu is a distant third. But, who knows? If I had to bet, I’d say Leyte.

The top pic shows the statue in isolation. The bottom pic is a bit confusing. There appears to be a large multistory concrete/block/stone building some distance behind the statue. 

Anyhow, message in the bottle time. 🙂

Thanks so much. 

Jake
Posted
Posted
On 2/5/2019 at 6:15 AM, northtoalaska said:

.......my father took during WW2 while he was assigned to a PT Boat that operated out of Ormoc.

I googled the Battle of Ormoc and discovered how the PT boats were using guerilla warfare so effectively.  I salute your father and the rest of his squadron for a job well done.

Respectfully Jake  

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jake said:

I googled the Battle of Ormoc and discovered how the PT boats were using guerilla warfare so effectively.  I salute your father and the rest of his squadron for a job well done.

Respectfully Jake  

Yes, they did some interesting things at times. 

One mission of my father’s boat (PT127) resulted in the captain getting the Silver Star. The rest of the crew got nothing — of course — as if the captain crewed the boat alone. 😂

Edited by northtoalaska
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

My dad did something similar in the uk , they were called MTBs , he said they were like riding on a bomb with lots of aviation fuel , they did raids out if the east coast of england 

• Like 2

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Same type critter. MTB — Motor Torpedo Boat. 

Officially the US Navy designated their boats MTBs as well. Somewhere along the lines they also become known as PT — Patrol Torpedo. 

The Nazi versions were called E Boats. 

The Brits operated their own version of MTBs but there were also PT boats operating in the English Channel and the Med. I’m not sure if some of them were crewed by Brits or not. I suspect so, certainly by the later years of the war when the US was cranking out such enormous quantities of everything. 

• Like 1