northtoalaska

Another Million to One Shot

A few years ago one of the regular forum members helped me find the location of a photograph that my father took during WW2 while he was assigned to a PT Boat that operated out of Ormoc. The pic showed my dad sitting in front of what turned out to be a mausoleum in the Malitbog cemetery. It was recognized by the forum member because it was the mausoleum of his wife’s, if I recall correctly, great grandmother. Now what are the odds of that?

Well, I’m hoping lightening can strike twice. I have another pic of my dad somewhere, probably on Leyte. I’ve been thinking it was the steps to a bombed out school. But, now I’ve found a second photograph that makes me think it too might be a mausoleum. Maybe? Or, just a statue to someone? 

If these pics tickle any little brain cells I would be extremely grateful.

Hopefully the pics will upload. 

Thanks so much. 

4222EB69-DB0A-4B1D-99B3-0E33A9321639.png

4D449C53-C59D-45B3-ABC8-A219C8D89305.png

I’ll show this picture to my Mother In Law. It is not the same one but she may know it’s location and history.

Update...

I’m now 90%+ sure it isn’t a mausoleum. 

A friend pointed out that it is very likely a Jose Rizal statue. It seems way back in 1904 they passed a law encouraging every town to create one. The majority of them depict Rizal holding a book. Which is the case with these photos. 

6 hours ago, northtoalaska said:

Update...

I’m now 90%+ sure it isn’t a mausoleum. 

A friend pointed out that it is very likely a Jose Rizal statue. It seems way back in 1904 they passed a law encouraging every town to create one. The majority of them depict Rizal holding a book. Which is the case with these photos. 

Good luck with that. I love learning about this stuff. I live very close to Aguinaldo Park and we've been inside his house maybe 5 times on the tour that they give. There is a huge Filipino flag at the park by his house that is on display 24 hours a day.