What! No Filipinos?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I spent 5 weeks in 2018 visiting Mexico's colonial highlands.  This year, we were in Mexico City for 5 weeks.  No sightings of Filipinos.  The closest was listening to two guys having a conversation that sounded like one of the Southern dialects.  Turns out they were from Myanmar.  This is most unusual because of the Philippines diaspora, also known as OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers).  We have met Filipinos in some fairly unusual places like a mountain village in Bavaria, Germany.  A group of women scattered in Rome.  They thought I was an Italian undercover police officer.  You could see the shock in their faces when I spoke to them in Tagalog.  (Obviously working illegally, which is the reason they scattered.)  I also met a group of Filipino construction workers in Slovenia.  They were employees of a Canadian company.  

Just to make sure, during our last week in Mexico City,  I went online, in Spanish, looking for telltale signs like a Filipino restaurant or grocery store.  No luck.  

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Many Mexicans are OFWs as it's a poor country. OFWs go to work in rich countries like Italy and Germany etc not Mexico. I didn't see any Filipinos whilst I was in Peru last Autumn either.

• Like 2