USA Immigration office in the Philippines is closing

• 2 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, Lee1154 said:

http://virtualpinoy.com/2019/03/us-plans-to-close-20-international-immigration-offices-including-ph/

US plans to close 20 international immigration offices, including PH

In another topic, it was said that some members had called the closing of the Manila U.S. Immigration office "fake news".  I searched for topics on the closing and only found Lee's here.

In the past few days I have seen many articles posted on FB about this.  I think all the articles have been clear, but the commentators don't seem to understand what it really is.  Many don't read the articles and think this means the U.S. Embassy is closing!

Most expats here are not impacted by the small office closure.  If you or your loved one are applying for U.S. permanent resident visa, it changes the way you go about it.  Tourist visas or other non-immigrant visas are not impacted.

Here is a list of what to do for each visa formerly handled at the Manila office:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/philippines-uscis-manila-field-office

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In another topic, it was said that some members had called the closing of the Manila U.S. Immigration office "fake news".  I searched for topics on the closing and only found Lee's here.

This is the one, and the 'fake news' comments were removed by the authorities.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

This is the one, and the 'fake news' comments were removed by the authorities.

I was hoping to find them and see what they said.  Based on comments on FB, many people construed the news to be that the Embassy was closing.  If someone thought that is what the news was, I could see why they might call it fake.  In any case, they were just confused.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was hoping to find them and see what they said

All that was said were the words: "Fake News" with no expanation as to why they believed this to be fake.  Later on, JGF commented that he verified that it was real news and suddenly the 'Fake News' comments, as well as JGF's comments were removed from the topic.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I do not watch CNN, MSNBC or the other liberal sites so i do not do fake news unless I accompany it with a warning 

haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is an example of the over reaction to the news.  This Philippine government agency had to put this article out saying the embassy was not closing.  A Filipino friend shared it on FB.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1071782

US embassy in PH not closing down: exec
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora  June 7, 2019, 5:01 pm Share

MANILA-- There will be no change in visa processing with consular services continuing, as usual, the United States embassy in Manila said on Friday as it clarified that only an office attached to it will shut down, not the chancery itself.

This came following the buzz on social media regarding the closure of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Manila Field Office next month.

"The US Embassy in the Philippines will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by the Manila Field Office to individuals residing in the Philippines," Trude Raizen, deputy press attache at the Embassy, said in a text message to the media.

On Thursday night, the US embassy confirmed that the USCIS will close its Manila office on July 5, 2019, "due to insufficient workload."

"There will be no change in visa processing at the U.S. embassy in the Philippines," it said.

The USCIS is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the US. Among its functions are adjudicating requests for immigration benefits, processing of applications to sponsor relatives and future spouses including refugee applications around the world.

Aside from Manila, the USCIS field office in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico was also closed on June 30.

According to the embassy, the USCIS has also entered into discussions to phase out all of its international offices. (PNA)

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

"The US Embassy in the Philippines will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by the Manila Field Office to individuals residing in the Philippines,"

I wonder if Direct Consular Filing (DCF) will still be allowed at the US Embassy (for American Expats seeking visas for their wives or fiances).

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, OnMyWay said:

Here is an example of the over reaction to the news.  This Philippine government agency had to put this article out saying the embassy was not closing.  A Filipino friend shared it on FB.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1071782

US embassy in PH not closing down: exec
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora  June 7, 2019, 5:01 pm Share

MANILA-- There will be no change in visa processing with consular services continuing, as usual, the United States embassy in Manila said on Friday as it clarified that only an office attached to it will shut down, not the chancery itself.

This came following the buzz on social media regarding the closure of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Manila Field Office next month.

"The US Embassy in the Philippines will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by the Manila Field Office to individuals residing in the Philippines," Trude Raizen, deputy press attache at the Embassy, said in a text message to the media.

On Thursday night, the US embassy confirmed that the USCIS will close its Manila office on July 5, 2019, "due to insufficient workload."

"There will be no change in visa processing at the U.S. embassy in the Philippines," it said.

The USCIS is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the US. Among its functions are adjudicating requests for immigration benefits, processing of applications to sponsor relatives and future spouses including refugee applications around the world.

Aside from Manila, the USCIS field office in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico was also closed on June 30.

According to the embassy, the USCIS has also entered into discussions to phase out all of its international offices. (PNA)

Thanks OMW for clarifying this.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Last week, I sent a petition (I-130) to the USCIS lockbox in Arizona (with more supporting documents than what was requested). 

Now, I just received a text that they approved my petition for my step-daughter, and that they'll be mailing an I-797 to me to pursue my next steps with the National Visa Center (NVC).  I am very surprised and pleased that things are happening as quickly as they are.

• Like 1