Balikbayan Program Clarifications

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What is the

TheMason
Posted
Posted

The law says a Balikbayan is someone who is "a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure."Do you know how strict they are about the 1 year absence requirement? I know you enter the Philippines regularly on the BB visa and I don't think your wife is always absent more than 1 year. Can you tell me your experience with this requirement?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The law says a Balikbayan is someone who is "a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure."Do you know how strict they are about the 1 year absence requirement? I know you enter the Philippines regularly on the BB visa and I don't think your wife is always absent more than 1 year. Can you tell me your experience with this requirement?
If you read the last section of the post I made, you no longer have to stay out a year and there is no longer a time you have to stay out. We have returned less than one month later in some years and they still stamped our passports BB but maybe they knew me and meant it as ball breaker. SugarwareZ-005.gif All kidding aside, that posts makes it pretty clear that all you have to do is leave even for a day and come back with your wife and you can stay a year at a time, but she is supposed to be a resident or citizen of another country and my wife is a US citizen. I know people who have left and returned with their Filipino wife who actually lived in the Philippines and was a citizen of the Philippines and had never been out of the Philippines and they too were given a BB stamp and then there was another guy who the airport officer refused and he and his wife went to the BI in Cebu and they stamped his passport BB. I would print the page I supplied and carry it with you if you even have a doubt but since our passport is full of BB stamps, I think we will be safe forever or until they change the law or their minds again.Also, read the definition of BB and we are included.