2019 Banks In Philippines

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

I bank with BPI and trust them with money. Thing is they seem not to be able to keep up on with the little things.

ATM down for maintenance, etc. Overall balance accurate but deposit records missing online. Parts of website only half working. UI lacking. Poor customer service support. I read comments from an official at BPI and my interpretation was digital banking was something they were accepting as a reality not something they were enthusiastic about.

So the really big things like accurate deposits, trust, personally A+. I feel fortunate overall. Yet banking experience- blah.

Can better be found or is it just another Philippines reality check moment? Don’t laugh lots of times people here can be enlightening! Middle class growing.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RubberChicken said:

Can better be found or is it just another Philippines reality check moment? Don’t laugh lots of times people here can be enlightening! Middle class growing.

We've got BPI and BDO, in my experience those 2 'larger' banks aren't different enough when it comes to customer service to use that to choose one over another.

• Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

I bank with BPI and trust them with money. Thing is they seem not to be able to keep up on with the little things.

ATM down for maintenance, etc. Overall balance accurate but deposit records missing online. Parts of website only half working. UI lacking. Poor customer service support. I read comments from an official at BPI and my interpretation was digital banking was something they were accepting as a reality not something they were enthusiastic about.

So the really big things like accurate deposits, trust, personally A+. I feel fortunate overall. Yet banking experience- blah.

Thanks for the info on User Interface. I was considering having my Pinay learn how to access her account on-line, but now I won't bother. No sense in looking for trouble and creating any unneeded confusion.

When living here, I find it wise to use the KISS principles at all times.  Operational norms and assumptions based on developed countries current norms are often unwarranted.... as you deftly pointed out in great detail.

Thanks again for the recon job.

• Thanks 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

https://www.finastra.com/sites/default/files/documents/2018/03/product-insight_digital-banking-overview-in-the-philippines.pdf

This reluctance of Filipinos to use digital banking is due to the lack of a compelling digital user experience that would encourage them to stop seeing branches as vital to transacting.

The majority of core banking systems in the Philippines were designed decades ago, when programming languages were entirely different, and that makes it extremely difficult for banks to keep up with modern, rapidly changing environments. Silo systems can also be a barrier to progress, especially when they prevent a bank having full access to its own data.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

Silo systems can also be a barrier to progress, especially when they prevent a bank having full access to its own data.

Well mate, that has Totally confused me let alone our Local people, Always best to keep think things simple methinks :hungover_40_anim_gif:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

https://www.finastra.com/sites/default/files/documents/2018/03/product-insight_digital-banking-overview-in-the-philippines.pdf

This reluctance of Filipinos to use digital banking is due to the lack of a compelling digital user experience that would encourage them to stop seeing branches as vital to transacting.

The majority of core banking systems in the Philippines were designed decades ago, when programming languages were entirely different, and that makes it extremely difficult for banks to keep up with modern, rapidly changing environments. Silo systems can also be a barrier to progress, especially when they prevent a bank having full access to its own data.

That makes sense.  All the websites here are atrocious. I cannot even view my bill on Globe anymore (used to). Now I can use their website to request a text message?   I was wondering if they just could not hire decent programmers, but ancient silo systems would do it.   I would guess that most users don't use computers anyway, maybe smart phone or tablet.