School Twinning

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Im just wondering if any other Schools are twinned in the Philippines? Ive just managed to setup a twinning between two schools one in the UK and one in Minglanilla,Cebu.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Im just wondering if any other Schools are twinned in the Philippines? Ive just managed to setup a twinning between two schools one in the UK and one in Minglanilla,Cebu.
I can not answer that but can you tell me the reason or advantage to doing this ?1%20(235).gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I can not answer that but can you tell me the reason or advantage to doing this ?1%20(235).gif
Its usually a charity or diversity effort. Schools in the UK/US will hold fundraisers to benefit their foreign twin and curriculum about the culture of the twin school will often be taught.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Im trying to do it slightly different with giving value to it for both parties besides cultural. Im hoping this is the start of things to come. One thing I would like to do is gain the old PC`s etc from the school in the UK as they upgrade but would also like to encourage a better understanding of the school in the Philippines aswell as maybe getting jewellery products that are exported from the school in Minglanilla (maybe constructed by kids parents) that are then sold on by the school in the UK as part of the kids trying to help themselves. Leading to a better understanding of how things are and what difference life has for kids in both countries. Ive already started letter writing by the kids which i will take home with me in December. The next stages I would like to do is a twinning of a hospital where it will all lead depends on the leaders of each service provider and establishment involved. Im keen to not make this a charity drive and more an exchange of friendship and development for all involved.

• 1 month later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

First stage is complete. I visited my daughter Nicoles School in the UK before I left gathering photos of the school and its facilities as well as letters of introduction from the children. I noticed that a lot of the attitude towards any projects involving foreigners often leads to an initial shopping list from those involved in the Philippines. I cant blame it on Filipinos though as most people setting up these projects in the first place are looking to help. But its important to build relationships first, you dont go to a restaurant and get handed the bill before you even sit down.. so why not expect the same in a network building environment. Anyway im going to leave the visit to the school in Minglanilla until after the Christmas so it can be taken on board as no doubt things are very busy at the moment.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never understood what this was until now. I think this is a great idea whether it be for philanthropic or learning. From a learning perspective, it would be great for children in the US to learn about the location and culture of another country. In the US kids for the most part leave schools without learning where the Philippines or any country is outside the US is on a map --- no less the language and culture of another country. What a great opporunity to communicate with peers in another country. -- to learn how different Christmas is here directly from their peers and vice versa.I was asked to attend my sons school to talk to the children about what it is like in the US as were parents of children from Japan, UK, Korea, Spain, Canada, Switzerland. This is one of the great benefits of an international school. My neighbor kids who attend a Filipino private school always ask me a ton of questions about how things are in the US, what life is like and how much things cost. They seem to get their perceptions from the movies and hype media that is far from reality.I'd love to set something like this up. My son's school is not likely one that will be looking for help but would clearly benefit from the learning twinning would provide. Maybe I can start here to see if the teachers would be interested.

First stage is complete. I visited my daughter Nicoles School in the UK before I left gathering photos of the school and its facilities as well as letters of introduction from the children. I noticed that a lot of the attitude towards any projects involving foreigners often leads to an initial shopping list from those involved in the Philippines. I cant blame it on Filipinos though as most people setting up these projects in the first place are looking to help. But its important to build relationships first, you dont go to a restaurant and get handed the bill before you even sit down.. so why not expect the same in a network building environment. Anyway im going to leave the visit to the school in Minglanilla until after the Christmas so it can be taken on board as no doubt things are very busy at the moment.
Edited by Gold Heart

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

First thing I did was contact the principle at the school in Minglanilla. The principle then took the information to a meeting in Cebu City to get approval. No doubt there would be some discussions before the project began as it does take a bit of setting up. One thing I did find though is both schools are keen to do it and its an engaging experience for everyone. The other side of the twinning is the fact there is a reality check for schools back in the U.S. / U.K. as they can understand how hard life really is for others. But at the same time it builds up a bond that may continue for decades and likely to prepare students who progress onto life outside of the Philippines. As well as opportunities for school trips to the Philippines for the kids outside of the country. Its an important learning experience especially in a world that is continously becoming smaller with the internet etc.If you need any help give me a shout :lol: