Prejudice

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

After I retired from the USN I worked for a short time at a hotel in San Diego. The General Manager was a very nice, but strict Filipino. We would eat lunch together almost every day that I worked there, the best part..he paid for the lunch. He had just got back from a vacation road trip with his family while we were eating lunch one day, and told me that he thought that the people in Montana are prejudice. He stopped at a restaurant there to eat with his family and said that everyone was staring at them. I asked him if he and his family were the only Filipinos there, and he said yes, everybody else was caucasian. 

I explained to him that whenever I, or other foreigners travel to the far parts of the Philippines provinces we get the same thing. Everybody stares at us because we are not a common sight. Nothing disrespectful..just curiosity. 

:wave:

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I explained to him that whenever I, or other foreigners travel to the far parts of the Philippines provinces we get the same thing. Everybody stares at us because we are not a common sight. Nothing disrespectful..just curiosity. 

I remember the first time I came to Philippines, children especially, would stare at me, I guess some kids had never seen a long nose white person before!

Life is changing so fast these days, but "Prejudice" is something brought out of fear or ignorance in a lot of cases. It's not anything I have found in my travels in Philippines so far, as you say it's more out of "Curiosity" most places. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

When I first started visiting Philippines in the 90s it was very common people would openly stop and stare. Every day hear “hey Joe”.

I was stationed in Taipe Taiwan 1973-1975. People there were very friendly loved Americans. When I would walk home sometimes school children would shyly walk with me younger ones would hold my hand.

• Like 1