Another resort clean up.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I wonder if this will be a wholehearted attempt or just that will do approach.

Philippines lifts threat to shut down second top resort
AFP News AFP News Thu., 1 Aug. 9:05 pm AEST 
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email
A threat to close a second world-famous but pollution-threatened beach in the Philippines was averted Thursday, drawing a sigh of relief from the local beleaguered tourism industry.

President Rodrigo Duterte shuttered the white-sand resort of Boracay island for six months last year, calling it a "cesspool", and his government had since threatened to do the same with the El Nido resort.

Boracay regained its old beauty in a government-led cleanup that also left thousands of people out of work, and hotels and restaurants in limbo.

The environment department said Thursday that instead of a Boracay-style approach, it would limit tourism activities at El Nido's most polluted sections while pursuing its rehabilitation.

Swimmers will be banned from two busy areas of El Nido town, Environment Undersecretary Benny Antiporda told AFP, after high levels of coliform bacteria spread by faeces were found there.

But the spots will remain transport hubs for the resort's main tourist activity, island-hopping.

"If you shut those places off, island hopping -- which is the life of El Nido -- will also be affected, and we don't want that to happen," Antiporda said.

The government has started cleaning up the beaches, he said, and vowed to close down establishments that violate regulations on waste disposal and building restrictions.

The decision brought relief to tourism businesses that had faced growing scrutiny following the closure of Boracay -- where some establishments were found flushing raw sewage straight into the sea.

"We are quite happy that there will be no total closure. That means that as long as establishments are compliant, they can continue to operate," Jose Clemente of the Tourism Congress of the Philippines told AFP.

Antiporda said a government committee was also reviewing the state of the country's other major tourist spots, including the surfing haven of Siargao and the island resort of Coron, near El Nido.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Perhaps once was enough and other areas will start taking action to prevent the same happening to their community.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

When I go over 1 or 2 times a year, I've noticed the resorts I stay in have paid people cleaning up the beaches now and I know of 2 that have put septic in, instead of letting sh== flow into the sea. Maybe they had a change of mind about polluting the ocean, or a guilty conscience. It wouldn't have anything to do with they've all been put on notice. :whatever:

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

When I go over 1 or 2 times a year, I've noticed the resorts I stay in have paid people cleaning up the beaches now and I know of 2 that have put septic in, instead of letting sh== flow into the sea. Maybe they had a change of mind about polluting the ocean, or a guilty conscience. It wouldn't have anything to do with they've all been put on notice. :whatever:

They pay people to clean up the beaches so it looks good for the guest's, Just imagine what's underneath the water that the guest's can't see.:shock_40_anim_gif:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Hopefully but I find the people here very adverse to change it`s almost as if they have a self destruct button.

I've heard it described as "crab mentality" Bunch of crabs in a bucket trying to escape. When one starts to reach the top of the bucket the ones at the bottom pull them back down!:mellow:

BC57
Posted
Posted

Really ticks me off how the citizens of the PH can treat their own land this way. What is wrong with them?????? I have no sympathy for them if the President decides to shut it down, maybe he still should.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, BC57 said:

Really ticks me off how the citizens of the PH can treat their own land this way. What is wrong with them?????? I have no sympathy for them if the President decides to shut it down, maybe he still should.

It must really tick you off to force a second post in over 4 years :smile:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

BC57
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I've heard it described as "crab mentality" Bunch of crabs in a bucket trying to escape. When one starts to reach the top of the bucket the ones at the bottom pull them back down!:mellow:

10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

It must really tick you off to force a second post in over 4 years :smile:

haha, I really had to force that response. I thought it was longer than 4 years.

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BC57 said:

haha, I really had to force that response. I thought it was longer than 4 years

4 years , 3 months and 20 days at the time of this post :thumbsup: