Fers Medical Plans in Philippines

Bobm
Posted
Posted

Anybody retired federal employee using Medical under FERS (OPM) entitlements? 

If so, which plan are you using in Philippines?

Are you having any issues using your medical plan benefits in Manila or Cebu?

Any recommendations which plan I should opt for retirement in the Philippines?

Any advise using medical plans FERS I may not have thought of?

I currently have APWU Health Plan (High), someone mentioned in another forum I might want to switch to  either Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan (Standard) or UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company, Inc. (High) plans. Any advise regarding this?

Thanks

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I'm a retired Federal employee (CSRS) with Federal Employee Health Insurance.

When I lived in the Philippines, my health insurance carrier (United Health Insurance) said that I would have to pay out of pocket and then file a claim with them for reimbursement.

The major glitch with this is that they would only cover emergency procedures in a hospital, and nothing more than that (i.e., no office visits, no prescriptions, etc.)

I've read that some American expats have had their US health Insurance make direct payments for health procedures (such as stents) to hospitals in Manila, since the US companies are happy to pay so little for the very same procedures that are much more costly when they are done in the USA.

Additionally, I've been told by some US Government employees that the Mail Handler Plan(s) for Federal Employee Health Insurance will cover you anywhere in the world, but I cannot confirm this as an actual fact.

• Like 1

Bobm
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your input Jack

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Hi bob,

I am retiring next year and plan to enroll in the FEP blue focus plan from blue cross/blue shield before I move to the Philippines.  All overseas providers are considered to be preferred providers and I exchanged several emails with them concerning their services.  Seemed to me the best way to go since my daughter here in the USA will still be covered until she's 28.  They also have a large list of providers that they get billed directly from.

• Like 1