Shipping a container

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Have any of you shipped a container from the US in the past 3-4 years. Where did you ship it from and to? How big was it? What was in it? How much did it cost? I am thinking about shipping all of my woodworking tools and mechanic type tools in the next year or 2. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, fototek1 said:

in the past 3-4 years

7 years ago...ill monitor the topic and if a more recent answer does not appear ill give ya the details :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fototek1 said:

Have any of you shipped a container from the US in the past 3-4 years. Where did you ship it from and to? How big was it? What was in it? How much did it cost? I am thinking about shipping all of my woodworking tools and mechanic type tools in the next year or 2. 

Probably better to contact a shipping company directly and get a quote?

When I shipped from Hong Kong we were able to combine with another customer to make a full container and save a considerable amount - only the shipper will be able to advise in this kind of option.

Edited by hk blues

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The balikbayan scheme allows the duty free shipping of a container meeting their requirements. Anything else is just commercial shipping.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, fototek1 said:

We moved here in April 2016 and shipped a 20' container.  Shipped from the Washington DC area to Manila and then it was delivered to Sta Rosa.  I forget the exact amount but think it was about $2500.  The shipping company took care of everything.  There was a small fee to pay at the terminal.  Somewhere around P3500.  I do believe unless you obtain your 13A visa before shipping you will be paying taxes and duty on a container.  Certified International Movers, Jessup Md is the company we used.

• Thanks 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by a container?  The big, truck size container, the wood boxes that fit inside the truck size container, or something like the balakbayan boxes?  We shipped dish-pack size balakbayan boxes all the time to my wife's family in the Philippines.  We went through the little Philippines store in our neighborhood in Virginia suburbs of DC.  About $90 shipping by volume, so you can cram in as much as you like as long as it fits in the box.  If you're looking for the big shipping containers I'm sure the balakbayan companies can negotiate something.

fototek1
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, intrepid said:

We moved here in April 2016 and shipped a 20' container.  Shipped from the Washington DC area to Manila and then it was delivered to Sta Rosa.  I forget the exact amount but think it was about $2500.  The shipping company took care of everything.  There was a small fee to pay at the terminal.  Somewhere around P3500.  I do believe unless you obtain your 13A visa before shipping you will be paying taxes and duty on a container.  Certified International Movers, Jessup Md is the company we used.

Thank you sir. Your information is perfect. I would be shipping from Boston to Manila and have delivered to Bulacan or Bataan. 20' would work but it will be heavy since the big pieces all have cast iron tops. I am still in the planning process but suspect a year and a half away from retirement. My company ships product worldwide from Boston. Maybe when i retire i can convince them to ship a container as a retirement gift :hystery: To bad my wife doesn't still have OFW status. There are great perks for OFW returning to Philippines.