Advice for long term overstay

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Asking for a neighbor.  He never got a visa after coming here, never went to the BI office.  That was YEARS ago.  He has children by a filipina live-in wife who he is not legally married to.  He wants to square things up, pay the back fees and get a proper Visa or ACR.

What are his chances?  He has not traveled out of the country for years, because he didn't want to trigger a problem. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

From what I read over the years he will be fined a lot on top of his normal visa fees. There will be an application to consider his situation.  Probably if he can pay all that is owed he might be OK but things are changing and why someone got into that situation who knows. :89:

Also seems suspicious as to why he did not want to travel. How well do you know him? 

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

From what I read over the years he will be fined a lot on top of his normal visa fees. There will be an application to consider his situation.  Probably if he can pay all that is owed he might be OK but things are changing and why someone got into that situation who knows. :89:

Also seems suspicious as to why he did not want to travel. How well do you know him? 

I did find out when I paid my annual renewal, that the local office here cannot handle such cases.  I only know him casually, no idea why he would want to push it this long or what the circumstances were.  I gather it must be getting complicated, because it means he really can't travel, or get a driver's license, get a bank loan, or anything that would require someone reviewing his passport.  

If it was me, I'd be seeking the help of a legal advisor just to avoid putting myself in jeopardy by asking questions at the BI

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I did find out when I paid my annual renewal, that the local office here cannot handle such cases.  I only know him casually, no idea why he would want to push it this long or what the circumstances were.  I gather it must be getting complicated, because it means he really can't travel, or get a driver's license, get a bank loan, or anything that would require someone reviewing his passport.  

If it was me, I'd be seeking the help of a legal advisor just to avoid putting myself in jeopardy by asking questions at the BI

Simple answer if wants to stay out of the detention center.

Seek help from an immigration attorney, easily found on line.

• Like 5