Unsafe condos

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

In the local news today , DMCI have had a 4th condo complex condemned by the davao city engineers

My own condo at one oasis is fine ,but that was constructed by an Australian architect, and I think using steel beams as opposed to the rebar and concrete columns that DMCI use

This company also has a large new complex going up at verdun parc 

So buyer beware DMCI condos have a tendency to damage from earthquakes 

• Sad 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

How long ago were they built? According to a sales pitch I got a while ago in Cebu all buildings (except private residential) over 2 floors are supposed to built to withstand earthquakes. 

I had my own experience with one a few years ago in Cebu - when that bad one hit Bohol. The apartel / condo I was in (Strawberry Residence’s) was designed by a Japanese architecture firm and supposedly also used Japanese steel. It only suffered some minor cracks in the stucco finish and a few popped / cracked floor tiles. Whereas an older building behind me suffered some major damage. Something to be said for a good architect. 

• Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

The opening of my condo building in Makati was delayed  by 6 months as " its claimed" there were new earthquake standards that Ayala had to cover when doing the foundations... not sure if true or not , but we all hope our properties survive in the event of something major and untoward.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gator said:

How long ago were they built? According to a sales pitch I got a while ago in Cebu all buildings (except private residential) over 2 floors are supposed to built to withstand earthquakes. 

I had my own experience with one a few years ago in Cebu - when that bad one hit Bohol. The apartel / condo I was in (Strawberry Residence’s) was designed by a Japanese architecture firm and supposedly also used Japanese steel. It only suffered some minor cracks in the stucco finish and a few popped / cracked floor tiles. Whereas an older building behind me suffered some major damage. Something to be said for a good architect. 

I belive that the building at ecoland 4000 was 3 years old ,that complex is directly across the road from my condo 

Looking at the building , it has pancaked and if you look along the ridge it's almost like it broke in half

As for the other 3 ,I'm not sure

Duterty has told DCMI that they will with hold future building permits, until they have sorted out and compensated the owners 

4 complexes would suggest cheap building practices 

Edited by bastonjock
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

What else would you expect here ?  

I have (literally) made my own bed, and it has been designed to be strong enough to shelter under, should my (also self-designed) house fall down during a quake.   :biggrin:

Might have to move some suitcases and stuff first though.  :89:

• Like 1