Diving Snorkel SCUBA Location

O-G
Posted
Posted

Need to know info on where free diving spearfishing, scuba or snorkel only, in Philippines Pangasinan area of Luzon at Lingyuan Gulf near Dagupan, San Fabian or La Union; there's protected/restricted areas around & open areas. Hundred Islands area is questionable & controversial protected? Palawan requires a 2 hr flight but I do have a relative in law there so? Please reply and/or email  REMOVED

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Snorkeled once in Honda Bay, Puerto Princesa, Palawan. It was good. By all accounts northern Palawan is amazing. My best experience ever was at a Marine Protected Area a 30 minute boat ride from Mactan Island, near Cebu.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, O-G said:

Need to know info on where free diving spearfishing, scuba or snorkel only, in Philippines Pangasinan area of Luzon at Lingyuan Gulf near Dagupan, San Fabian or La Union; there's protected/restricted areas around & open areas. Hundred Islands area is questionable & controversial protected? Palawan requires a 2 hr flight but I do have a relative in law there so? Please reply and/or email  REMOVED

Have you inquired at any of the local dive shops? I’d book a dive with one or two and chat up the dive masters / deck hands. Can also try searching wastebook or other social media for any local groups - safer to go with a dive buddy as well. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

O-G
Posted
Posted

Thanks Gator,

I'll try getting info from them. Since my post it seems after Wifie' & research on tablet videos/info we'll be going to Bolinao In Pangasinan; Tondol beach etc; & possibly Hundred Islands; it all depends, for me at least, upon finding places i can get out with my gear & spear to secluded shallow reef areas without family (in-laws)-(non swimmers) nosey reef protectiors, regulation etc; i think after 25+ yrs PADI Open Water Cert; I'm not likely to do harm. Maybe there's even a kayak/ sm.boat to rent from a local. Got to be better than the rest of the 3 weeks back in the Bangaray before back to CA. Any more info please feel free to share 

Kind regards; 

Steve

O-G (Old-Guy)

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

The only other info I can share is to be sure you don’t spearfish (or even take a piece of coral laying in the sand) in a marine park or sanctuary as it’s prohibited. Ignorance is not an excuse. Also, if you scuba dive in one, or in a government designated “dive site”, then you might need to pay a fee first. Dive shop operators collect the fee (or incorporate it into their tour fee) and it’s typically about 50 to 150 pesos per day per person; the amount of the fee depends on the government’s classification of the dive site.  

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted

Just make sure that you dont break any laws if you go out with a speargun on your own. I am not sure, but I Think a speargun is considered as a weapon. As a foreigner is it easy to think we can do all the things that the locals can do, but that is not always the case. Good luck to you.

• Like 2

O-G
Posted
Posted

Thank's Gator; good info to know😊

• Like 1

O-G
Posted
Posted

Thank you for being helpful Viking and others; it's good to know these things before learning the hard way👍

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I used to go spearfishing here in Subic back when I was in the Navy, mostly at night around the reef snorkeling, I was thinking about taking it up again here but not at night since I don't think I would be comfortable now that it's not a base. I gave up on the idea after reading the Subic Marine rules and protection pamphlet, it was confusing but from what I can tell it wouldn't be allowed in the areas near Cubi pt that I used to go.

• Like 1

O-G
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the location info Heeb. I've also not considered Subic area since passing thru there on to Pearl & eventual discharge after Nam PBR

Kind regards 

Semper Fortis

O-G