Careful posting covid information

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

The mayor of Cavite was arrested for posting false news concerning covid.    I am not suggesting that anyone here would do that intentionally, but we all need to take care when posting anecdotal information, stories, especially stuff you might read on Facebook.  If they will arrest a mayor, I am sure they would do the same to a foreigner.   I did a highlight on the possible penalties. :bash:

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/3/28/cavite-town-mayor-charges-fake-COVID-19-reports.html

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 28) — The Philippine National Police has filed criminal charges against a town mayor in Cavite province, and two other people over the alleged spread of fake reports on a COVID-19 case that caused panic in Cavite City.

The PNP in a statement on Saturday announced that its Anti-Cybercrime Unit in the Calabarzon region filed the court case on Friday against Noveleta Mayor Dino Reyes Chua.

It stemmed from a complaint from the Cavite City government that Chua was behind the spread of fake information on an alleged first coronavirus case in the city.

Also facing charges are Mario Batuigas, owner of online site Latigo News TV and Amor Virata, identified as a vlogger and online reporter.

Their charges include violation of Republic Act no. 11469 or the "Bayanihan to Heal As One Act," which was passed recently in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Under the law, those who create, perpetrate, or spread false information on the COVID-19 crisis shall face two months in jail and/or a fine of up to ₱1 million.

This is the first reported case against a local-level chief executive under the new law, which seeks to curtail the spread of "fake news" amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The PNP said that early this month, a Facebook account with the name Maggie Bernal posted 10 photos of suspected persons under investigation for coronavirus infection in Cavite City, adding that one patient died of the viral disease at the Cavite Medical Center. The account accused the local government of Cavite City of lack of transparency.

"But the local government debunked the claims of the account and proved that the information is false based on the fact-checking of the Rural Health Unit of Cavite City," the PNP said in its statement.

The city's health unit said the photo was actually that of a COVID-19 patient in Makati City.

"The unverified post has caused panic among citizens of the city," the PNP quoted its Anti-Cybercrime Group as saying.

Authorities found that the Maggie Bernal page was a "troll account... created by Chua in 2010 and was used to attack their political opponents and create intrigues based on the affidavit of a witness who was the creator and former administrator of the troll account."

Cases were also filed against Chua and his co-accused for online libel, unlawful use of means of publication and unlawful utterances, and vioation of the Data Privacy Act and the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act.

The Philippines now has 803 confirmed COVID-19 cases. Of this number, 54 have died while 31 have recovered.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

This is what you get in India for violating the quarantine.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=k436i_1585228251

:pow:

Mick
Posted
Posted

Yeah better only true facts. I get mine from Karan the hair dresser on facebook.... 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

In South Africa the police are enforcing social distancing with rubber bullets.

6 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

This is what you get in India for violating the quarantine.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=k436i_1585228251

:pow:

https://gulfnews.com/world/africa/coronavirus-south-african-police-fire-rubber-bullets-at-shoppers-during-lockdown-1.1585390329796

Edited by Guy F.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://www.rappler.com/nation/255753-duterte-special-powers-bill-coronavirus-fines-fake-news

Former Supreme Court spokesperson Ted Te said the subparagraph on the punishment of fake news "would be void."

There is no law that punishes, or even defines, fake news.

"Since there is no law that criminizalizes or defines fake news as a crime, and the special powers law does not also define what fake news is, it cannot be criminalized. That would be void," said Te.

Of course, everyone should be careful with what they post and repost and the opinions they share to begin with. And the opinion of a former SC spokesman won't keep you out of prison!

Edited by JDDavao
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Guy F. said:

In South Africa the police are enforcing social distancing with rubber bullets.

making shoppers stretch their arms in front of them to ensure that they are at least one metre apart from one another

Long arms? 

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It is hard to know what is true when everyone from 12 to 82 is an instant expert on what needs to be done.  Here is a 12 year old who wants to lecture us now

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Dave... I think she is smarter than most...:smile:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Guy F. said:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=vqnA_1585340958   Ouch!:sad: