How to deal with the, VA when moving to Philippines.

Braverifles
Posted
Posted

Ok, i got some questions about how to deal with VA. I am a 100% Disabled Combat Vet. I know the VA likes to make sure they have my, address and telephone number current. But i have looked online for any info about who to talk to, when you move to another country. I got meds that the VA fills every 3 months for me. Can anybody assist, on who i would need to inform at VA that i will be moving to Philippines to retire. I am only 44 but will be 45 by Feb of next year. Any help would be appreciated. I also know they want your address too.

J.T

Army, 3rd ACR

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am a disabled vet, not 100%.  I never dealt with them in the PIs. I only know  a little about the VA here, hopefully someone can help more...  

The VA, in Manila, only helps with the service connected issues, not all health care. I have heard they will mail out meds, but have no firsthand knowledge.  I do not live on Luzon, so I have never been to the VA here. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Braverifles said:

Ok, i got some questions about how to deal with VA. I am a 100% Disabled Combat Vet. I know the VA likes to make sure they have my, address and telephone number current. But i have looked online for any info about who to talk to, when you move to another country. I got meds that the VA fills every 3 months for me. Can anybody assist, on who i would need to inform at VA that i will be moving to Philippines to retire. I am only 44 but will be 45 by Feb of next year. Any help would be appreciated. I also know they want your address too.

J.T

Army, 3rd ACR

https://1925mcarthur.wixsite.com/raoangeles

Everything you need is here. You can also get an FPO mailing address for P150 per month so your US mail goes through the US Embassy in Manila. It's how I do my paper taxes every year. If you want, or need, private message me. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

If you want, or need, private message me.

New members cannot private message to prevent spamming. The forum is a good place for questions and answers so everyone may learn something. 

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Do you see doctors for your 100%?   If so have them forward your information to the VA in Manila.  Do you have an address and phone number in the Philippines yet?  If so contact your local VA and change your information.  You cannot update your mailing address for medicine via MyHealth.va.gov.  I sold my house over a month ago and got me a local P.O. Box and updated my MyHealth.va.gov address, when I did not receive my medicine I called the VA pharmacy and found out I had to call section 8 of the VA hospital (Jackson, Mississippi) not sure if all VA hospitals are the same.  After being bounced around on the phone, I ended up going to a local VA clinic and they said they would update it for me.  Good luck and please let me know what you had to do.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

New members cannot private message to prevent spamming. The forum is a good place for questions and answers so everyone may learn something. 

Totally agree. My bad.:smile:

Braverifles
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2020 at 2:11 AM, Arizona Kid said:

https://1925mcarthur.wixsite.com/raoangeles

Everything you need is here. You can also get an FPO mailing address for P150 per month so your US mail goes through the US Embassy in Manila. It's how I do my paper taxes every year. If you want, or need, private message me. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for your response. So how would i go about getting a FPO? 

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Braverifles said:

Hey thanks for your response. So how would i go about getting a FPO? 

The way I got it was visiting the RAO In Angeles City years ago. Talked to Jim Boyd personally and he directed me to the FPO office 2 doors away in the same building. I signed up with proof that I was a vet, and got an FPO address. If you don't live in Angeles City, they will send it to your door wherever you live in the Phills via any of the delivery services. DHL, LBC, etc. When I need to use the US postal service to send something for mailing to the US, I send the sealed envelope via the same delivery services to the FPO mailroom with a note to please pay the postage and mail it. It all goes through the US Embassy so you don't have to worry about your mail getting lost. I call the mailroom twice a year to see if I need to send them more money. It's how I get my ATM and credit card renewals when they expire. Been doing this since 2002 and have never had anything missing or lost.

I don't know if you have to visit the RAO office personally to get the FPO. Just email Jim Boyd and ask..he always reply's. What a cool dude!:biggrin: