Jump to content

Report from Thailand


Pinetree

Recommended Posts

On 5/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, Pinetree said:

  Much better that being in the UK,  which sounds like a nightmare. Perhaps staying here is not such a bad idea after all, we will see.  

With all respect, it depends on your situation. The UK has been paying 80% of salaries - absolutely astounding level of support. Even our friends over the pond haven't come close to matching that.

I don't know what your govt. has done but if it's anything like the 70 quid, a few kilos of rice and some tins of sardines then it's fallen short. 

Sorry to be so direct, but the UK has stood by its people in the economic sense thus far and deserves some credit. The UK surely screwed up the initial response to the virus, but I'm not buying the idea that SE Asian governments have suddenly acquired a level of competence hitherto unseen.

Anyhow, good to hear your situation is stable - for most of us foreigners here it's not so bad.

Stay safe!

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

With all respect, it depends on your situation. The UK has been paying 80% of salaries - absolutely astounding level of support. Even our friends over the pond haven't come close to matching that.

I don't know what your govt. has done but if it's anything like the 70 quid, a few kilos of rice and some tins of sardines then it's fallen short. 

Sorry to be so direct, but the UK has stood by its people in the economic sense thus far and deserves some credit. The UK surely screwed up the initial response to the virus, but I'm not buying the idea that SE Asian governments have suddenly acquired a level of competence hitherto unseen.

Anyhow, good to hear your situation is stable - for most of us foreigners here it's not so bad.

Stay safe!

 

Thanks Pinetree. Interesting to know of your first hand experiences in Thailand. Stay safe!

HK, not calling you out just a FYI. Many here in the US are receiving more every week from unemployment and the bonus payment than their regular salaries and few are looking forward returning to work. I am pleased the UK government has looked after those needing support.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Manager
On 5/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, Pinetree said:

The month long alcohol ban has now been lifted

That depends where in Thailand you are.  Some parts just like here the local government has still not lifted the alcohol ban so wherever you are you are lucky.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That depends where in Thailand you are.  Some parts just like here the local government has still not lifted the alcohol ban so wherever you are you are lucky.  

30km outside of Pattaya, in the countryside of Rayong Province.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Thanks Pinetree. Interesting to know of your first hand experiences in Thailand. Stay safe!

HK, not calling you out just a FYI. Many here in the US are receiving more every week from unemployment and the bonus payment than their regular salaries and few are looking forward returning to work. I am pleased the UK government has looked after those needing support.

Thanks Old55 - I wasn't really trying to suggest the US government wasn't doing enough, just trying to emphasise how much the UK government is doing.

My post didn't read the way I intended.

  • Love it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
40 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Thanks Old55 - I wasn't really trying to suggest the US government wasn't doing enough, just trying to emphasise how much the UK government is doing.

My post didn't read the way I intended.

Thanks for understanding I was not being critical of you or how UK was supporting it's citizens. :tiphat:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...