USA citizen with Thai motorcycle license

TennBlue
Posted
Posted

Hi.   So guys, I am a USA ciitzen who was staying for a few months in northern Thailand and was able to get a Thai motorcycle license while there.    I am temporarily working back in USA until September and was wondering whether that active Thai motorcycle license would be of use in the Phils?    If not, should I get a current motorcycle license here in US while I am home working, and would that allow me to get a Phils motorcycle license easier when I go to Cebu in September to retire?    Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

As an American tourist you may use your US license no problem. Eventually you will require a Filipino license and it's not difficult to get.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Yes, I'd get the US motorcycle license.... On the chance you had to actually pull it out and explain why your a US citizen driving on a Thai motorcycle license... you'll pass out from heat exhaustion before they figure out what to do and decide to let you go :Policeman:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, TennBlue said:

Hi.   So guys, I am a USA ciitzen who was staying for a few months in northern Thailand and was able to get a Thai motorcycle license while there.    I am temporarily working back in USA until September and was wondering whether that active Thai motorcycle license would be of use in the Phils?    If not, should I get a current motorcycle license here in US while I am home working, and would that allow me to get a Phils motorcycle license easier when I go to Cebu in September to retire?    Thanks!

5 hours ago, Old55 said:

As an American tourist you may use your US license no problem. Eventually you will require a Filipino license and it's not difficult to get.

2 hours ago, Joey G said:

Yes, I'd get the US motorcycle license.... On the chance you had to actually pull it out and explain why your a US citizen driving on a Thai motorcycle license... you'll pass out from heat exhaustion before they figure out what to do and decide to let you go :Policeman:

All good advice... However, do know that you will need to have a long term or permanent visa in order to get your Filipino driver license... They will not grant you a license if you are on a tourist visa.

Once you arrive here, your foreign license is only good for up to 3 months... I got busted for that once already, before getting the long visa and Filipino license...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TennBlue
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks much guys!    I'll make sure to get an updated license here in US before I come to Cebu