Thousand Island Dressing

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Often there are quick-fix substitutes for our favourite dressings. Seafood sauce, also called Marie Rose sauce can easily be created from Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Heinz Salad Cream. Approx 50%  mix of each.
Not easy to get salad cream over here though, but Rustans sell a Waitrose branded one, which is just as good.  Delicious with prawns in a prawn sandwich (or on a baked potato), traditional prawn cocktail or chilled avocado and prawns. 

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Try  this....

On the French.... throw in a little vinegar and pinch of sugar

On the seafood sauce... add some horseradish

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Joey G said:

On the seafood sauce... add some horseradish

Can anyone suggest where I might find horseradish?

Joey G
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

yeah western horseradish is hard to come by... but if you can find wasabi it's a pretty good substitute... just have to experiment with the amount to use.... both will make you lose your breath at full strength

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yeah... I might try that. Wasabi is readily available but I have not tried using it with meats or other things. I remember the good old days using fresh horseradish with prime rib roast - heavenly!!! I miss the seasoning and that tender beef!

insite
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You might try Swiss Deli as I have seen it there on occasion and if not you could ask the manager to order it for you.

There is a business in Cebu called Mikes Imported English Foods that most likely would have it but to make it worthwhile in getting it here it would really need to be part of a larger order.

• Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... I might try that. Wasabi is readily available but I have not tried using it with meats or other things. I remember the good old days using fresh horseradish with prime rib roast - heavenly!!! I miss the seasoning and that tender beef!

Can try mashing some canned / jarred beets (not the pickled type) to the wasabi to tone it down. Play the ratio to your taste. The beets add a nice mildly sweet flavor to it. I buy a ready mixed horseradish and beet sauce in USA at Publix. I prefer it to straight horseradish or the ones you find mixed with cream (which sometimes breaks if you add it to a homemade hot gravy).  

• Like 1