Nearby Infection

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

A bit scary here recently.

A few days ago, there were some police who set up a canopy of sorts and started hanging out next door to the apartment. Then yesterday, they moved across the street and down a few lots. They didn't seem to do anything but hang out or sleep.

So, yesterday, when I drove out to shop a bit, I stopped to chat with one of the police. I asked him why they were there. He told me (remember there is a language problem since I do not speak Visayan) something about somebody having Covid in a house maybe three lots down from the apartment.  That frightened me greatly since kids frequently play on the street late in the afternoons, at least one or two guys jog down the street too - nobody wears masks. But, now that I reflect, there haven't been any joggers or kids on the street for several days - probably since when the police showed up. So now, L and I are a bit paranoid and wear masks whenever we go outside the apartment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

paranoid and wear masks

Stay safe brother.  I plan on when we do buy, is to make sure we get the house cleaned (at lest with lysol) so we are not that paranoid.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, Tommy T. said:

A bit scary here recently.

A few days ago, there were some police who set up a canopy of sorts and started hanging out next door to the apartment. Then yesterday, they moved across the street and down a few lots. They didn't seem to do anything but hang out or sleep.

So, yesterday, when I drove out to shop a bit, I stopped to chat with one of the police. I asked him why they were there. He told me (remember there is a language problem since I do not speak Visayan) something about somebody having Covid in a house maybe three lots down from the apartment.  That frightened me greatly since kids frequently play on the street late in the afternoons, at least one or two guys jog down the street too - nobody wears masks. But, now that I reflect, there haven't been any joggers or kids on the street for several days - probably since when the police showed up. So now, L and I are a bit paranoid and wear masks whenever we go outside the apartment.

Not really scary. We have people in our building positive. There are people out there not diagnosed as positive that anyone can come in contact with.

Might be different in your area but we have no choice other than to wear a mask outside or in our building common areas. Now I cant even get into 7/11 without mask and shield.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... the least you can do. I am sooo looking forward to moving to the new home. It is rather isolated, one close neighbour only and there does not seem to be virus out there. The city, here, is wearing on us - too loud, too many barking dogs, etc. It's beyond time to get the hell out of Dodge!

You deserve it Tommy, after the effort of your build.

Dogs can be a curse, trust your new house remains quiet as is currently the state.

We built only to have a change of people over the road whom owned, to me, the noisiest  non stop barking dogs in the country. Huge dogs on short chains 24/7.....Sleepless stressful nights and days, eventually we had to move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, RBM said:

Dogs can be a curse, trust your new house remains quiet as is currently the state.

We built only to have a change of people over the road whom owned, to me, the noisiest  non stop barking dogs in the country. Huge dogs on short chains 24/7.....Sleepless stressful nights and days, eventually we had to move.

A bit off topic (as per my usual...sorry JGF) but a reinforcement to your comments....

Yeah...dogs are like a virus sometimes here as most of us have discussed in how many threads??? Here in the city, the noisiest and most persistent barkers are about a block away... ughhhh..... 

L keeps reminding me that the neighbourhood at the new home will certainly change and become noisy - that is just the nature of life here. I can live with it if it is gradual. But there do not seem to be virus cases out there (now) and kids who can't be older than 13 or have licenses ride motorcycles w/o helmets or closed toe shoes; most don't even carry masks, let alone wear them. They likely aren't registered bikes either.... Not my problem or concern, just my observation.

I noted on our last trip to the home on Tuesday that I did not hear karaoke, and the two closest neighbours' places were quiet - no loud TV, radio (with the - to me - stupid hyena laugh and other canned sound effects), no dogs barking. I was a bit shocked at how tranquil it seemed. Then L poked me hard and told me that it WILL change, so just relax and enjoy what you can, accept the inevitable. She always has good advice and keeps me on an even keel.

But, the best thing I noticed from a previous visit was that, when the windows were closed, most noise from outside just vanished! We paid big money for decent windows and build and it appears to be already paying us some dividends.

But, back on topic, The workers don't wear masks except when we are there. the virus is sort of a non-event out there. If nothing else, the risk will be lower except when I go for groceries - which is only every other week or so.

• Like 4

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Maybe if you buy a huge piece of land and put your house in the middle you will never have to hear the dogs again. I have a rich friend here in the US that bought 50 acres of land and built his home. He is isolated just outside the city. Its an amazing place!

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic