When emergency vehicles dont stop at intersections

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

In Australia emergency vehicles have to come to a stop or close to before proceeding but here they dont.  Maybe they need to think about this. :smile:

8 Tacloban firefighters injured in fire truck collision

a crash.jpg

AT LEAST eight firefighters were hurt when two fire trucks from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and Central Tacloban Filipino-Chinese Volunteers Fire Brigade collided while responding to a call in Tacloban City Sunday evening, September 6, 2020.

The BFP vehicle was driven by Fire Officer Charlie Chan with passenger Fire Officer Mandy Oral, while the other fire truck was driven by Jerome Eguillos with volunteer firefighters Eden Rose Barillo, Judy Ann Casas, Roel Avestruz, Jobert Janoras, and Lemuel Colite, said police.

Initial investigation disclosed that the BFP truck was traveling on Paterno Street coming from Burgos Street and was headed toward Leyte Normal University area, while the volunteer fire brigade vehicle was cruising Imelda Avenue coming from Rizal Avenue and was headed toward Real Street past 8 p.m. Sunday.

Upon reaching the intersection along Paterno and Imelda streets, the two vehicles collided.

Due to the strong impact, both drivers and their passengers sustained injuries in the different parts of their bodies, police said.

The firefighters immediately received medical treatment.

Meanwhile, at least five houses made of light materials were destroyed by the fire in Barangay 62-A Sagkahan, Tacloban City.

An unplugged electrical device caused the fire at the house of Adonis Ramac. The fire then spread to other houses.

The BFP declared the fire out about 8:50 p.m. Sunday. No casualties have been reported.

Investigators have yet to determine the cost of damage to properties

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1869487/Tacloban/Local-News/8-Tacloban-firefighters-injured-in-fire-truck-collision

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

In Australia emergency vehicles have to come to a stop or close to before proceeding but here they dont.  Maybe they need to think about this. :smile:

Same in the USA, even then there is the occasional accident.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe they need to think about this. :smile:

I am sure that just like almost every bus and jeep accident, the drivers will both say their brakes malfunctioned:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am sure that just like almost every bus and jeep accident, the drivers will both say their brakes malfunctioned:hystery:

Most likely the Filipino Chinese volunteers will be found at fault. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Same in the USA, even then there is the occasional accident.

In Sweden, emergency vehicles don´t have to stop BUT  they will be at fault if an accident happens. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

In Sweden, emergency vehicles don´t have to stop BUT  they will be at fault if an accident happens. 

No matter what there will always be an accident some time. I have watched several youtube videos here of fire trucks racing to a fire here and they dont give a chance for traffic comming into an intersection. Surprised not more accidents. 

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

No matter what there will always be an accident some time. I have watched several youtube videos here of fire trucks racing to a fire here and they dont give a chance for traffic comming into an intersection. Surprised not more accidents. 

Accidents with emergency vehicles do happen, also in Sweden, but not very often. It´s a balance of the situation. It would not be very practical if the ambulance, for example,  would have to stop at every crossing, redlight etc when someone is in urgent need of help. Atleast that is my opinion. On the other hand, you cant can´t drive like you are the only one on the road just because you are in an emergency vehicle. I think it work pretty good here (Sweden) those times I have been involved with this, but considering how people usually drive in Philippines, I am not surprised that it would not work there :wink:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

How about just slowing down, then looking left and right at ANY crossroads ?  :whatever:

Oh sorry...almost forgot where I am.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2