Plant poaching problem

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

During lock-down public demand for exotic plants has fueled thefts of rare specimens from public land. Please be careful of what you purchase at the local plant place.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/plant-thieves-scour-forests-to-satisfy-foliage-starved-filipinos

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
To add further alliteration.
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 9/13/2020 at 8:28 PM, Guy F. said:

During lock-down public demand for exotic plants has fueled thefts of rare specimens from public land. Please be careful of what you purchase at the local plant place.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-12/plant-thieves-scour-forests-to-satisfy-foliage-starved-filipinos

Hi Guy F. 

Maybe some will be divided stolen plants to make more specimen plants to sell.  There has been such a large amount of landscaping/plant nurseries that have cropped up here during the pandemic. Unique and large specimen plants can go for big bucks oftentimes.

I've even had people try to take cuttings from unique vines hanging over our front wall. I wouldn't mind them taking if they asked first, but not if they just take them.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I've even had people try to take cuttings from unique vines hanging over our front wall.

I've noticed that Philippine norms (rule perhaps) indicate that a property owner only owns that portion of a plant which is on his/her own side of their property line.

I have seen many instances where neighbors prune back trees or plants if they extend over a fence onto that neighbor's property.  Often fruit is picked - clippings are taken - malangay leaves are stripped, if they overhang public areas.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've noticed that Philippine norms (rule perhaps) indicate that a property owner only owns that portion of a plant which is on his/her own side of their property line.

I have seen many instances where neighbors prune back trees or plants if they extend over a fence onto that neighbor's property.  Often fruit is picked - clippings are taken - malangay leaves are stripped, if they overhang public areas.

That makes sense, Dave. This has only happened once, and for the most part folks are pretty polite.  I try to train my vines to stay on the inside, but sometimes they get away from me.:smile:  As far as malunggay goes, out here in the province sometimes folks plant it along the public land in front of their house if that's all the room they have. Extra stalks of it are often given away  to neighbors free for the asking.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since I posted the link Bloomberg has installed a paywall. Here's a free linky.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/plant-thieves-scour-forests-to-satisfy-foliage-starved-filipinos

It would be nice if a mod would edit the OP so people wouldn't waste time on the Bloomberg link.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Guy F. 

Maybe some will be divided stolen plants to make more specimen plants to sell.  There has been such a large amount of landscaping/plant nurseries that have cropped up here during the pandemic. Unique and large specimen plants can go for big bucks oftentimes.

I've even had people try to take cuttings from unique vines hanging over our front wall. I wouldn't mind them taking if they asked first, but not if they just take them.

Yes Queenie same in Bacolod, during my 15 minute drive to springs I can view so many extra small and large nurseries that have sprung up. Along with the incredible increase in massive subdivisions one would think we are all bathed in gold.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife will see plants as she takes walks in the morning.  When she sees one she likes, she will ask the owner if she can take take a clipping.  The answer has always been "yes".

• Like 3