Fading virus or fading media interest?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I notice there's not much in the Philippines news now on this many cases, deaths etc so is the virus winding down or has the media lost interest? What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

As to the Philippines specifically there are 286,000 confirmed cases now compared to 178,000 a month ago and 67000 2 months ago and I don't think that increase is going away until the Philippines gets to herd immunity one way or the other.

Reading on the Worldometers there have now been over 31M confirmed case worldwide to date and over 22M recovered.  The Philippines is now 21 on the world list of cases.  286K+ cases and almost 330K recovered.  Agreed it is not going to be over for a long while.  However, it seems that the serious/critical cases are not as many as the early months of the pandemic.  Maybe all the early news coverage has had a small impact on the population being more careful with such things as had washing and social distancing.  I think the Philippines as well as other countries are starting to get tired of all the coverage yet know it is still a part of life for at least the near future.  Hopefully until a vaccine is available the citizens will continue doing the right things even without all the news coverage/scares.  Time will tell.

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I notice there's not much in the Philippines news now on this many cases, deaths etc so is the virus winding down or has the media lost interest? What do you guys think? 

Perhaps the media’s interest is slowing down a bit in the Philippines, but in the USA there’s always a few stories at the top about it. Albeit most do have a secondary, or in some instances a primary, political twist to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I think that to a certain degree many people have grown use to, and/or adapted to, the situation and the measures in place.   Also when the same basic news is heard, seen, or read each day for many months it gets old, stale, and for many people turns into blah, blah, blah - new day same old $h#&.  So it becomes "old news" unless we actually are affected is some way.  For example, I received an email from my brother two days ago that I have three relatives that have contracted the virus.  Two are married and elderly mid 70 to early 80s, they caught it from their son who is in his 50s.  Other family, friends, and contacts are now under quarantine watch.  This is in Washington state. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike, we hope your family members here will swiftly recover.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Echo that. We hope it doesn't get serious for them and that they make complete recoveries...and soon.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic