Which Visa should I go for

Tony Allen
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone... Can I pick your brains please? ....

When we are allowed to return, I am wondering which visa I may be able to get... I have been here twice before on visa on arrival.... 

I know I have to apply here in London in any case but I am wanting to stay as ;long as I can (Minimum three months) I have much to find out re health insurance etc etc. as at my age (74) I cannot afford full health insurance so having to rely on trip insurance that covers me for the three months.

I need to check out the requirements for retirement ... I have no lump sum at the bank but have around £2,000 a month coming in (in the UK) Which I might only be able to substantiate with 'Room for rent' contracts plus pension.... Would I need to show that going into a Filipino bank or would a online bank card suffice ... I use 'Starling Bank' which is not a high street one....Hmmmm am I complex or what ha ha ha ....I will be grateful for any good advice please, Thank you...

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think the only one you can apply for at present is a tourist visa (9A ?)... though at the moment, unless you have a wife or child here, you're not likely to get one of those.

Even so, that is the 'normal' visa for you to apply for, as a single person coming from the UK. 

Who knows what is further down the road ? Keeping on checking the current visa situation is all you can do. Hopefully things will be eased up before too long.  :thumbsup:

I am retired here...but married to a local. Still treated as a tourist though, until I've processed my 13A visa, which is a more permanent arrangement, and permits me to run a business, or work.

Edited by graham59

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Hi Tony and welcome.  Best just to stick with the basic tourist visa for now which you can currently keep extending up to 3yrs.  £2k should get you a good quality of life. It's just a case of listing what you want.  A city, beach, close by medical facilities, Western food etc.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yep...2K is more than enough to live on, and the authorities are not going to query your income anyway.  

That only happens with visas such as SRRV , which is aimed more at military retirees.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yep...2K is more than enough to live on, and the authorities are not going to query your income anyway.  

That only happens with visas such as SRRV , which is aimed more at military retirees.

Actually under the current rules for a 9A tourist visa you do need to show proof of “financial capacity”. 

• Proof of financial capacity (e.g.latest print-out of credit card account(s), latest print-out of bank statements, ownership of real estate properties, and other documents showing the applicant’s capacity to financially support himself/herself during his/her stay in the Philippines. You will need more than type of proof of financial capacity)

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/visa/tourist-visa-pleasure-or-business

However if you meant getting a visa upon arrival, then no, they don’t ask. But you can’t get one of those now. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

Just a slight correction to your comment, Graham...sorry.

SRRV seems aimed at any retiree who can afford it. However the military get a big break in the required down payment. I am not looking at the cost at this moment - too lazy to get up from my coffee...

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yeah... I'm no expert...just throwing in a few general comments, for others to pick up on.

I've only ever had tourist visas , plus 'Balikbayans' (when married). 

Of course times are different now, and it is imperative that potential visitors/residents keep updated via the Philippines Bureau of Immigration website, plus their Phils embassy in their home country....as rules can change from one day to the next.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

as rules can change from one day to the next. 

You meant from one hour to the next, didn't you?:89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shol
Posted
Posted

Just be careful and factor your medical into where you choose to live.  It's a lot different now with a lot of the hospitals catering to that, so any other potential medical concerns you are going to want to have a great "go-to" in a pinch.....

Getting a cold or having "regular" flu could end up landing you in a quarantine facility at your expense.   

Also remember you will have to quarantine once you arrive at your expense; I believe it's 14 days.

Anyway take care of yourself :)

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Prices, eligibility and exemptions for the SRRV are all listed here:

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/#options

• Like 2