Crop Sharing

insite
Posted
Posted

I am wondering if any of our members have experience of crop sharing and if so if they would care to share their experiences good or bad ?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

If by crop sharing you mean helping out others in lean times and expecting the favour returned when roles are reversed I think you may encounter a well highlighted culture problem unless very lucky. 

Amended to highlight the issue if it's to do with land. Many Filipinos have large families and they pretty much get first pick on anything. If it's being allowed to use land to grow crops in return for a share of the profits then again if it's profitable it's kept in house and if it's not and you make it profitable you'll need a good contract to remain on the land. 

Edited by Snowy79

insite
Posted
Posted

I understand many multi nationals are doing this on scaled up basis mainly growing plants for biodiesel.

I have more in mind a smaller scale operation in various fruits and vegetables.

In outline one provides the seeds , prepare and fertilises the land and then harvests on the basis of an agreed % of the crop.

I had met some expats doing this when I arrived 7 years back and they to the best of my recollection spoke well of its viability however I have lost contact with these people hence my question here.

My wifes family are farmers in the area and so would be there to monitor progress and implement the agreement.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My wife's parents are farmers in a hard to reach mountainous area of Cebu province.  For many years they have been farming a piece of land which is owned by someone else.  The arrangement is that they give 30% of the crop to the landowner for the "right" to do that.  And it is a legal right.  It would be very hard for the landowner to kick them off now that they have been doing that for so many years.  The landowner would like to sell his 2 hectares now but nobody wants to buy it because it comes with a tenant farmer.

• Like 1

insite
Posted
Posted

In my own case I thought to setup the infrastructure and let the land owner tend to the crops throughout the growth stage and only get involved at harvest  at which time the produce would be split 30% to owner and 70 % to crop share investor.

It would be interesting to hear of someone who has or is doing this kind of business.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, insite said:

It would be interesting to hear of someone who has or is doing this kind of business.

Another way to approach it would be to read the law and study some cases.  Lots of laws in this "field".  You may even wish to consult a lawyer about it.

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1954/ra_1199_1954.html

https://www.manilatimes.net/2013/12/08/legal-advice/dearpao/landowners-seek-to-eject-agricultural-tenants/58962/

insite
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave - I will look over the links but its not the legalities that immediately concern , although that will come , but more the hands on experience of others who may have tried this as a venture.

Given the responses so far it appears there may not be many.

• Like 1