Do Doctors Believe in the Rapid Test

davewe
Posted
Posted

This is a story from a friend of mine. His MIL is mid 70s with a life threatening chronic condition that requires constant treatment. She fell yesterday and cut her head. Her daughter (not my friends wife) took her to the hospital for stitches. She had a fever and the doctor declared the symptoms were Covid. The daughter said she'd just cut herself and had the chronic condition and that was the reason for the fever. They did the rapid test which was negative. The doctor ignored the result saying, "that test is inaccurate," insisting that the woman must be checked into the Covid ward. The daughter said, "then we will leave," and the doctor refused to release the woman.

The woman is now terrified that she will die in the hospital and terrified that she will not get proper treatment for her actual issues. It strikes me that this is happening all over the world; that we have one diagnosis and ignore anything else. But my real question is, do medical professionals really think the rapid test is worthless? I assume if she had tested positive the doctor would have said, "see - she has it." BTW they have not performed the swab test; not sure if it is available there.

This all scares me more than a little. If I had an accident or another health issue can I trust a hospital to treat it or are they so consumed with finding Covid that they would ignore the actual illness?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, davewe said:

If I had an accident or another health issue can I trust a hospital to treat it or are they so consumed with finding Covid that they would ignore the actual illness?

Judging by that one anecdote I would say you have reason to be concerned.  Covid-mania has taken over the world.  Maybe all people with Covid symptoms should be burned at the stake.  

Burn.jpg

(Hmmm.  I hope the fanatics don't see this or they may just start doing it.)

• Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Covid-mania has taken over the world. 

My very long time Doctor would not entertain me as I had a runny nose, although passing all the pre screening. I have Hayfever from all our blooming Plants and Fruit trees, Another Doctor said nothing but Hayfever and prescribed Antihistamines.So my 3 monthly post Stroke checkups now at 8+ months I told the SUMC Administration this and they said did she offer testing for covid? No I said, so what is the point of your notice board telling us to report things to a Doctor that will not see you, Of course the usual Shoulder Shrug. SUMC have now gone down many points from a Patient that normally holds them in Very High  Regard  :whatever:

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Had a mate and his wife who needed to do a test before they could book a flight to a yoga retreat in Philippines.

Thy did the antigen test.. wife was negative he was positive. Weird result given that they both live together. Said test result meant he was in quarantine in his condo building.

He then arranged for a home test of the RT-PCR test and lo and behold, both were negative so no more quarantine.

some tests seem not to be worth the paper they are printed on.

In the answer to the original question, in a high class hospital in the cities they would treat the problem. In the provinces, where covid paranoia reigns ,they like to lock everyone up regardless of medical condition, causes etc. 

Little govt functionaries made big by having a taste of power.... till they are voted out of office later for incompetence during covid.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

It’s all about money  💰. Hospitals get extra funding to treat China virus patients. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

A friend recently went home to the province in Mindanao. She had to have both tests which are negative but she still has to do 14 days quarantine at a school. So what's the point of that? There are 15 others there. Probably more likely to catch it in quarantine than if she was allowed to go home.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

A friend recently went home to the province in Mindanao. She had to have both tests which are negative but she still has to do 14 days quarantine at a school. So what's the point of that? There are 15 others there. Probably more likely to catch it in quarantine than if she was allowed to go home.

Surely the point is that the test was negative when it was given but there is an incubation period as far as I'm aware.  If this wasn't the case there would be no need for quarantines at all anywhere.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Surely the point is that the test was negative when it was given but there is an incubation period as far as I'm aware.  If this wasn't the case there would be no need for quarantines at all anywhere.

The thing is she was fit and healthy in Cebu city and had the first test in Cebu which is negative and allows her to fly. Once arriving at her destination is taken to quarantine and l think the next day subjected to a second test , again negative but still 14 days in lock up.

Surely if you are negative twice then home quarantine should be fine? 

The whole thing is bullshit. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2020 at 12:40 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

The thing is she was fit and healthy in Cebu city and had the first test in Cebu which is negative and allows her to fly. Once arriving at her destination is taken to quarantine and l think the next day subjected to a second test , again negative but still 14 days in lock up.

Surely if you are negative twice then home quarantine should be fine? 

The whole thing is bullshit. 

I guess I misunderstood your point - I thought you were questioning the need for quarantine of any kind. Home quarantine surely would have been fine I agree.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic