Motorcycle permit of use.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've just had a fine example of bureaucracy when renewing my annual permit of use that is a requirement on Boracay.  My current one runs out on the 31st of December and I figured commonsense ( I know) says I'd better drop the paperwork in early as the office is closed over Xmas and the New Year. My partner was with me and went to the Mayor's office to be told it gets sorted in another office downstairs.  My partner said she'd take it in to make things easier.  5 minutes later she is back saying " why did I come in before the 31st, it's still in date?" 

I pointed out the office is closed over Xmas and the New Year so by the time the office is open I'll be riding without a permit, it's only a quick knocked up letter off a template with the Mayor's Office emblem on it.  I asked her if he gave her anything to say it's OK to ride around without a permit as when stopped you can bet the Police don't listen and the guy will deny saying anything?  She then went off on one about they are only following orders. I then asked if she they can just do a letter valid from the 31st of December this year until the 31st of December next year.  That set off another argument over " well that is how we do things here."  She wouldn't admit to the stupidity of it.  It's more fun in the Philippines.

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've just had a fine example of bureaucracy when renewing my annual permit of use that is a requirement on Boracay.  My current one runs out on the 31st of December and I figured commonsense ( I know) says I'd better drop the paperwork in early as the office is closed over Xmas and the New Year. My partner was with me and went to the Mayor's office to be told it gets sorted in another office downstairs.  My partner said she'd take it in to make things easier.  5 minutes later she is back saying " why did I come in before the 31st, it's still in date?" 

I pointed out the office is closed over Xmas and the New Year so by the time the office is open I'll be riding without a permit, it's only a quick knocked up letter off a template with the Mayor's Office emblem on it.  I asked her if he gave her anything to say it's OK to ride around without a permit as when stopped you can bet the Police don't listen and the guy will deny saying anything?  She then went off on one about they are only following orders. I then asked if she they can just do a letter valid from the 31st of December this year until the 31st of December next year.  That set off another argument over " well that is how we do things here."  She wouldn't admit to the stupidity of it.  It's more fun in the Philippines.

Ha Ha so not just me....Good to know this burden is shared (sorry) Remember the country where logic is forgotten.

Bit off topic how ever we sat through a very trying testing day obtaining health certificates and barangay clearance which is required for our trip to IloIlo. Unfortunately due to illness I was unable to go, rather than waste this saga of obtaining same we decided today to visit Canlaon as permits are required there. Strange at times how our minds work.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, Snowy79 said:

I've just had a fine example of bureaucracy when renewing my annual permit of use that is a requirement on Boracay. 

So in addition to a driver license, registration, plate, etc you need a permit to use the cycle?  Is this to prevent tourists renting/using bikes? :89:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

So in addition to a driver license, registration, plate, etc you need a permit to use the cycle?  Is this to prevent tourists renting/using bikes? :89:

Probably just another tax as you have to pay the Barangay for the pleasure of riding a motorcycle that's registered, insured and tested.  Interestingly I've rented a couple of motorcycles on other islnds from 300 to 500 peso per day.  On Boracay it's 2,000 peso for 24hrs. :1927_: