Posted
Posted

The deposit will post on the 4th. 

image.png

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I received on New Years Day our 2nd stimulus check through direct bank deposit.  By agreement, we can each spend our $600 without consulting the other.  My idea is give the money to a charitable organization(s) in the Philippines.  Any ideas?

Our 2021 plans include a trip to the Philippines after receiving our Covid-19 vaccination and the reduction of contradictory travel restrictions.  No nose swabs or quarantine if this can be avoided.  Part of domestic travel planning is to visit areas that have been developed for tourism during the past few years, assuming they have re-opened by the time of our visit.

• Like 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

@ JJReyes I recommend contacting some Rotary clubs to see where your funds can help. Do you have a particular area of the Philippines you would like to donate to? I am in touch with Rotarian's I trust in Cebu and Samar. 

Another thought would be to hold onto the money until you go and randomly give it away as you travel. Buy some of the begging kids lunch and have a chat with them. See someone that needs new shoes or clothes. Walk into a store and buy them stuff (don't let them pick). You know, random acts of kindness. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, fototek1 said:

@ JJReyes I recommend contacting some Rotary clubs to see where your funds can help. Do you have a particular area of the Philippines you would like to donate to? I am in touch with Rotarian's I trust in Cebu and Samar. 

Another thought would be to hold onto the money until you go and randomly give it away as you travel. Buy some of the begging kids lunch and have a chat with them. See someone that needs new shoes or clothes. Walk into a store and buy them stuff (don't let them pick). You know, random acts of kindness. 

I'd say you have the perfect solution with that last suggestion - direct support always trumps indirect in my book.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, fototek1 said:

Thanks.  I will hold on to the $600 for now and bring it with me to the Philippines.  One previous observation is seeing barefoot street children or they are wearing well worn slippers.  Perhaps it could be "new slippers for old slippers" with distribution either on my own initiative or in partnership with a local group.  My role in the joint project would be buying the children's slippers or flip-flops rather than simply handing over the money to the group.  Cebu or Samar might be a better location than Metro Manila.  During the trip planned, we will probably fly to multiple destinations.  

• Like 3

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
On 1/1/2021 at 11:09 PM, JJReyes said:

to a charitable organization(s) in the Philippines.

I donate to the Tebow CURE Hospital, in partnership with CURE International, provides physical and spiritual healing to deserving children of the Philippines.  This 30-bed hospital is located in Davao City on the island of Mindanao, Philippines.  https://www.timtebowfoundation.org/tebow-cure-hopsital.  

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 1/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, JJReyes said:

Thanks.  I will hold on to the $600 for now and bring it with me to the Philippines.  One previous observation is seeing barefoot street children or they are wearing well worn slippers.  Perhaps it could be "new slippers for old slippers" with distribution either on my own initiative or in partnership with a local group.  My role in the joint project would be buying the children's slippers or flip-flops rather than simply handing over the money to the group.  Cebu or Samar might be a better location than Metro Manila.  During the trip planned, we will probably fly to multiple destinations.  

There's a charity that gives shoes to the Mangyan in Mindoro as most are bare footed.  Apparently there's a microscopic worm that gets into the childrens feet which is basically a parasite that multiplies inside them and starves them of nutrients. I've done a little bit of charity with them and it's an eye opener to see the size of some of the kids.  I brought my partner and her daughter along with me on one trip.  The daughter was 8yrs old and taller than most of the school kids who were 4 years and above older. 

• Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There's a charity that gives shoes to the Mangyan in Mindoro as most are bare footed.  Apparently there's a microscopic worm that gets into the childrens feet which is basically a parasite that multiplies inside them and starves them of nutrients. I've done a little bit of charity with them and it's an eye opener to see the size of some of the kids.  I brought my partner and her daughter along with me on one trip.  The daughter was 8yrs old and taller than most of the school kids who were 4 years and above older. 

Thanks for the info.  My preliminary research is the NGO helping the Mangyan tribe is Pampamayanang Mangyan Ugnayan Inc.  I recall as children we were never permitted to step outside without wearing either shoes or slippers because of parasitic worms.  

• Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic