US 2020 tax filing help please.

strvger
Posted
Posted

hi.  i'm new to this site, but not so new to the PI having lived here with my filipina wife since 2015.  i've already missed out on the last $600 stimulus check and certainly don't want that to happen should another stimulus check be issued.  i didn't file for 2019 taxes due to my having no active work income and my retirement monies not being enough to require filing.  that cost me the $600 it seems.  so here i am, over 70 and would like some help filing this year for the 2020 taxes just so i can make the refund list.  i'm living in Davao del Norte (Tagum area) and sure would appreciate some help here.

if this is inappropriate or the wrong forum, please let me know.   thanks in advance.

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, strvger said:

hi.  i'm new to this site, but not so new to the PI having lived here with my filipina wife since 2015.  i've already missed out on the last $600 stimulus check and certainly don't want that to happen should another stimulus check be issued.  i didn't file for 2019 taxes due to my having no active work income and my retirement monies not being enough to require filing.  that cost me the $600 it seems.  so here i am, over 70 and would like some help filing this year for the 2020 taxes just so i can make the refund list.  i'm living in Davao del Norte (Tagum area) and sure would appreciate some help here.

if this is inappropriate or the wrong forum, please let me know.   thanks in advance.

Hi, when you file your taxes for 2020 you need to put the stimulus checks amount that you missed in line 30 of your 1040 form (Recovery Rebate Credit). Was it only $600 for 2020? I thought it was $1200 for first round and $600 for second round.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.47.18 AM.png

Edited by Explorer
  • Like 3

strvger
Posted
Posted

hi.  thanks for the reply.  i did see the instructions for line 30.  i also got the very first $1200 check as a dd in my US bank.  as i understand, the reason i didn't get the second ($600) check/deposit is because i did not file for 2019.  so now i need to do some catch-up so i don't miss this next one.  i am NOT a tax whiz by any stretch of the imagination.  that's why i'm looking for help to take care of both 2019 (if needed) and then the 2020 returns.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

For the past 3 years I have used CreditKarma's free tax software and filing service. It's easy and reliable. I believe it's equal to software that one must pay for like Turbotax, at least for uncomplicated tax situations. You should try it.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, strvger said:

14 hours ago, strvger said:

hi.  thanks for the reply.  i did see the instructions for line 30.  i also got the very first $1200 check as a dd in my US bank.  as i understand, the reason i didn't get the second ($600) check/deposit is because i did not file for 2019.  so now i need to do some catch-up so i don't miss this next one.  i am NOT a tax whiz by any stretch of the imagination.  that's why i'm looking for help to take care of both 2019 (if needed) and then the 2020 returns.

Theoretically,  if you got the first by DD to your bank account, you should have got the second the same way.  If you did not file 2019 taxes, they would have used 2018 incomed to determine eligibility.  Has anything changed?  Bank accounts?

They screw up a lot, so since you did not get the 2nd $600 payment, you can claim it as a credit on your 2020 taxes.  The free software mentioned should work for you.  It will ask you if you got the first, etc., to determine how much you are owed as a credit / refund.

However, I would advise to wait until later this year to file 2020.  There is likely to be a 3rd payment.  Wait and see if you get that one, before filing.  U.S. citizens living overseas have until June 15th to file, and October for an extension.  In your case, not owing taxes, when you file is not critical.

Explorer
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Theoretically,  if you got the first by DD to your bank account, you should have got the second the same way.  If you did not file 2019 taxes, they would have used 2018 incomed to determine eligibility.  Has anything changed?  Bank accounts?

They screw up a lot, so since you did not get the 2nd $600 payment, you can claim it as a credit on your 2020 taxes.  The free software mentioned should work for you.  It will ask you if you got the first, etc., to determine how much you are owed as a credit / refund.

However, I would advise to wait until later this year to file 2020.  There is likely to be a 3rd payment.  Wait and see if you get that one, before filing.  U.S. citizens living overseas have until June 15th to file, and October for an extension.  In your case, not owing taxes, when you file is not critical.

If you did not file your 2019 return, they will not send you the $600, you need to put it in line 30 of your 2020 return in order to receive it. Now for the 3rd installment, I am not sure you can include it in your 2020 return because it belong to tax year 2021.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Explorer said:

If you did not file your 2019 return, they will not send you the $600, you need to put it in line 30 of your 2020 return in order to receive it. Now for the 3rd installment, I am not sure you can include it in your 2020 return because it belong to tax year 2021.

I didn't know that about the $600 only using 2019.  For the third, yes, you are probably correct.  If you don't get it right away, they will accommodate it on the 2021 return.  2020 forms are already printed and it would be hard to change anything now.  My second payment was mailed on January 6th, 2021, so technically it would fall into 2021, but they accommodated it on the 2020 forms, if I don't get the physical check.

strvger
Posted
Posted

thanks to all for the helpful advice.  if the poor 2G wifi internet i have here holds up, i'll for sure try the CreditKarma website to get my taxes done.

• 2 weeks later...
strvger
Posted
Posted

final update on this question...

Credit Karma is NOT international!  unless you're using a VPN (i am not) foreign isp's get blocked.  it displays as the 'page is not currently available.  try later.'

went to H & R Block site and got it done.  about 20 minutes and FREE!  i did avail myself of the $24.99 that keeps the information in the cloud for 6 years just so all the minutia  will be available when next year rolls around.  there is talk in congress about either a 4th stimulus check or permanent, regular, monthly support for low and most middle income taxpayers.

NOT holding my breath for that one!

thanks again for your help.

• Like 1