TMW SYNDROME

baronapart
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jake said:
Expendable skills....

Using a 10X magnifier, I use to pride myself mounting a delicate 100 leg IC chip on the motherboard without doing a butcher job.  Now, I need my soldering hand restrained in a vise to keep it steady.

Unfortunately, I have a form of epilepsy. My doctor diagnosed it as TMW syndrome (too much wankin').

Yep, I used to build PCs with my sons and for myself as a hobby. It has been a few years since I built one. Decided last month to build a new Ryzen system.  Sweat was dripping off my forehead, my hands were shaking and I was swearing like a sailor (wait I was a sailor :-) ). When I swear my wife says that I am speaking German)))) System runs fine but it was not an enjoyable experience like it used to be. I think I will retire as a system builder and just buy Thinkpads from now on.

• Haha 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, baronapart said:

Yep, I used to build PCs with my sons and for myself as a hobby. It has been a few years since I built one. Decided last month to build a new Ryzen system.  Sweat was dripping off my forehead, my hands were shaking and I was swearing like a sailor (wait I was a sailor :-) ). When I swear my wife says that I am speaking German)))) System runs fine but it was not an enjoyable experience like it used to be. I think I will retire as a system builder and just buy Thinkpads from now on.

Hey Shipmate, that Ryzen system looks awesome!  Cussing up a storm, my first build of a desktop was a no joy.  I returned all components back to Fry's Electronics.  It didn't boot up, was stuck in the boot menu.  After that, every time I need to troubleshoot, I use my crescent-hammer.  

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jake said:
Expendable skills....

Using a 10X magnifier, I use to pride myself mounting a delicate 100 leg IC chip on the motherboard without doing a butcher job.  Now, I need my soldering hand restrained in a vise to keep it steady.

Unfortunately, I have a form of epilepsy. My doctor diagnosed it as TMW syndrome (too much wankin').

Jake... try switching hands from time to time - don't forget to double-clutch when changing gears! (And maybe you should get a girl friend?:popcorn:)

10 hours ago, baronapart said:

I used to work in a very hi-tech microfilm photo job. I could patch film errors with opaque patching "paint" and a tiny, pointed artist's brush to within a few thousandths of an inch accuracy, then verify the fix using a 100x microscope. Now I can barely handle a 3 inch wide paint brush without making a mess! (and I DON'T have TMW syndrome!)

8 hours ago, Jake said:

Hey Shipmate, that Ryzen system looks awesome!  Cussing up a storm, my first build of a desktop was a no joy.  I returned all components back to Fry's Electronics.  It didn't boot up, was stuck in the boot menu.  After that, every time I need to troubleshoot, I use my crescent-hammer.  

Jake... we had some rules aboard yachts for repairs...

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger tool. If you still don't succeed, then use a hammer - bigger is better. If still no joy, then break out the torch!

And, of course, there was always the "float test." Take any recalcitrant item - computer, calculator, modem...etc. - and hold it over the side and over the ocean and threaten to see if it will float... Amazing how many items worked well after that!!!:thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 4